What's new

jailbreak help

ccohen6410

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken 3GS running 5.0.1 that i used redsn0w to jailbreak and the ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock. All of a sudden when trying to type (whether a web URL, an email, etc), the keyboard shows up but when i hit a key, nothing happens. I think i need to restore my phone and jailbreak it again. How do I wipe it clean and then re-jailbreak? I just don't want to do anything to prevent myself from re-jailbreaking. Can anyone please tell me the steps to wipe my phone clean and re-jailbreak? Also, if anyone has a suggestion to fix this problem without re-jailbraking that would be great too (although I don't think that is possible). Thanks

It is an original iphone 3GS. The modem firmware is 05.11.07.

ccohen6410 said:
It is an original iphone 3GS. The modem firmware is 05.11.07.

Ok first of all you have certain options
1. If you have SHSH saved in cydia you can go to whichever of the saved SHSH versions of ios you want (look and see what if any the green letters/numbers on top of cydia say).

2. You should go to 5.0.1 ios, there is an untethered jailbreak and unlock for that. Butyou have to create a custom ipsw with redsn0w 0.9.10b4 in order to preserve your unlockable baseband, and restore to that through itunes (with SHIFT-Restore buttons).

If you want all details you can ask me anything you like.

As for your problem, i would suggest a hard reset first off (reboot the phone by holding down the power-home buttons simultaneously until it shuts off and reboots).

Also, have you recently added any tweaks fom cydia that might have caused this?

It is an original iphone 3GS.  The modem firmware is 05.11.07. 

when i go to Cydia it has in green on the home page the following ios under SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 5.0.1. No i didn't add anything. When I jailbroke it a few weeks ago (before that was running an original iOS 3 something jailbroken and unlocked) it didn't really work too great. The keyboard was fine but I had an odd problem. Whenever I went all the way to the left to the search function on the iphone, the cursor would flash and but keyboard would not pop up. In addition, when i went into the app store, i could type in something to search for (keyboard would pop up and work fine) but when it came to put in my itunes password, the field would just blink with cursor but keyboard would never come up. I had to connect through bluetooth to my mac to my wireless keyboard to enter the password. Everything else worked fine though. Then yesterday, i was surfing the web and all of a sudden tried to go to a new webpage. When I typed in the URL nothing happened when I hit the keys. Same thing happens when I got to type an email or something.

Question, to re-jailbreak, etc should I follow these instructions, what is what I did the first time a few weeks ago when I upgraded/jailbroke to 5.0.1? Upgrade jailbroke iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 preserve unlock baseband redsn0w

Thanks for the help

ok cool. I will do it tonight. Also forgot to mention above but I did hold down the power-home button simultaneously (hard reset) until phone turned off and apple logo appeared several times but that didn't solve the keyboard not working so I figured I needed to re-jailbreak. thanks again for the help. Will let you know how it goes tonight/tomorrow

ccohen6410 said:
ok cool. I will do it tonight. Also forgot to mention above but I did hold down the power-home button simultaneously (hard reset) until phone turned off and apple logo appeared several times but that didn't solve the keyboard not working so I figured I needed to re-jailbreak. thanks again for the help. Will let you know how it goes tonight/tomorrow

Good luck! Whatever you need just message me!

So I have the strangest problem. I reloaded the iOS 5.0.1 creating the custom firmware from redsn0w and following all the directions from the link I sent you but I still have the same problem. I cannot type letters when i hit the keyboard when I try to open a new webpage in Safari or try to send a text message or an email. However, when I got to Cydia and then hit search and when keyboard popped up, i had no problem typing in ultrasn0w to download that. The keyboard worked fine in Cydia. Also, the keyboard works now in the Apple app store so i can type in my itunes password to download apps where before I had to use my wireless mac keyboard via bluetooth. Also, i have to put a passcode on my phone for my work email and the keyboard works for that so that I can unlock the phone when it is awakened or turned off so I don't think it is an issue with the phone and the touch screen. Any suggestions? The only thing i can think of is that the main ios 5.0.1 download that i have has a problem with it as I used the same one that I downloaded a few weeks ago on redsn0w for the 3GS instead of trying to redownload it and get a fresh one. Anythoughts? Thanks again for your help. It is really appreciated.

I am still having the problem of having my keyboard not work after rejailbreaking my iphone 3gs on ios 5.0.1. I cannot use the keyboard for email or for typing in webaddresses. I hit the keyboard and nothing happens. However, the keyboard works when I am in cydia and i want to search for a package or to type a repository address in. Also unlike before, I can type my itunes password in the appstore but just can't type in anything in the cursor field when trying to search for an app within the appstore. I reloaded the iOS 5.0.1 creating the custom firmware from redsn0w and following all the directions from the link I sent you but I still have the same problem. I cannot type letters when i hit the keyboard when I try to open a new webpage in Safari or try to send a text message or an email. However, when I got to Cydia and then hit search and when keyboard popped up, i had no problem typing in ultrasn0w to download that. The keyboard worked fine in Cydia. Also, the keyboard works now in the Apple app store so i can type in my itunes password to download apps where before I had to use my wireless mac keyboard via bluetooth. Also, i have to put a passcode on my phone for my work email and the keyboard works for that so that I can unlock the phone when it is awakened or turned off so I don't think it is an issue with the phone and the touch screen. Any suggestions? The only thing i can think of is that the main ios 5.0.1 download that i have has a problem with it as I used the same one that I downloaded a few weeks ago on redsn0w for the 3GS instead of trying to redownload it and get a fresh one. Anythoughts? Thanks again for your help. It is really appreciated. I had posted this a few days ago but nobody had responded. Can someone please help?