What's new

Jailbreak and Unlock 4.1 (READ BEFORE CREATING A NEW THREAD)

go to settings > general > about and if its on 4.1 with baseband 2.10.04 then its unlocked as there is no unlock tool for that baseband, or restore and then you can see if it unlocks or locks

O.K. I looked in settings (General)...it is Verson 4.1 (8B117( with Modem Firmware 02.10.04.

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying it is unlocked? Or are you saying that there is no unlock tool for that baseband....the last part, I don't get at all "or restore and then you can see if it unlocks or locks.

Also, in another note it was said when 4.2 comes out, 4.1 can be jailbroken and to wait for 4.2. I am lost. Thanks.

yes thats what i meant, there is no unlock for that baseband so your either using the carrier that the phone is locked to or its sim free iphone...

when 4.2 is released a few days after according to muscle nerd there will be a 4.1 baseband unlock, and the hole in the 4.1 baseband might work for the 4.2 baseband so you might see 4.2 unlock quicker then you think..

do you plan to unlock? or your using your phone with a contract and dont need unlock?

I am in a contract with AT&T for 2 years. Would it still make sense to unlock and "free" my phone from "jail" by enjoying other apps, itunes and what other benefits are there?

O.K. I looked in settings (General)...it is Verson 4.1 (8B117( with Modem Firmware 02.10.04.

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying it is unlocked? Or are you saying that there is no unlock tool for that baseband....the last part, I don't get at all "or restore and then you can see if it unlocks or locks.

Also, in another note it was said when 4.2 comes out, 4.1 can be jailbroken and to wait for 4.2. I am lost. Thanks.

yes thats what i meant, there is no unlock for that baseband so your either using the carrier that the phone is locked to or its sim free iphone...

when 4.2 is released a few days after according to muscle nerd there will be a 4.1 baseband unlock, and the hole in the 4.1 baseband might work for the 4.2 baseband so you might see 4.2 unlock quicker then you think..

do you plan to unlock? or your using your phone with a contract and dont need unlock?

I am in a contract with AT&T for 2 years. Would it still make sense to unlock and "free" my phone from "jail" by enjoying other apps, itunes and what other benefits are there?

bri, unlock is not jailbreak, unlocking a phone means it gives you the ability to put ANOTHER sim card that is not the one its locked to (in your case att) so you could use t-mobile for example or any other sim card world wide. it does not give you the ability to add apps that apple dont aprove, what you want is jailbreak that adds cydia to your iphone and lets you install whats in there with out the approval of apple .:) so you dont need unlock bri

bri, unlock is not jailbreak, unlocking a phone means it gives you the ability to put ANOTHER sim card that is not the one its locked to (in your case att) so you could use t-mobile for example or any other sim card world wide. it does not give you the ability to add apps that apple dont aprove, what you want is jailbreak that adds cydia to your iphone and lets you install whats in there with out the approval of apple .:) so you dont need unlock bri

That was a very good explanation of what unlock does (can get new sim card, good for travelling or other providers) or jailbreak that adds cydia (whatever that is, I will google it) and you can install what is in there without the approval of apple. O.K. I will read about cydia. Thanks so much.

That was a very good explanation of what unlock does (can get new sim card, good for travelling or other providers) or jailbreak that adds cydia (whatever that is, I will google it) and you can install what is in there without the approval of apple. O.K. I will read about cydia. Thanks so much.

Cydia is basically jailbreak app the same as app store but with non approved apps that drive apple mad, though in the us its legal it voids warranty..

Jailbreak iPhone | iPhone News, Help and Guides

that is out dated and some of the features apple have added officially but it gives you a rough idea what is in cydia...

copy paste/video abilities all came to jailbreakers around a year before apple officially added these features simple things like changing sms tone that apple dont allow and apps that make your life easier..

Cydia is basically jailbreak app the same as app store but with non approved apps that drive apple mad, though in the us its legal it voids warranty..

that is out dated and some of the features apple have added officially but it gives you a rough idea what is in cydia...

copy paste/video abilities all came to jailbreakers around a year before apple officially added these features simple things like changing sms tone that apple dont allow and apps that make your life easier..

I don't think I would be a jailbreak candidate at this time because I purchased "AppleCare" (which has an additional 2 years warranty). One has to think really hard to JB (look at me I am even now understanding abbreviations) because I have the extra warranty. If memory serves me right, I was told that it comes with a 90 day warranty? I am not exactly sure on that but 90 days for me is not long enough. I am locked into AT&T for now for two years and I have a 2 year AppleCare package, I would not want my warranty voided at this time. I am a seeker of information though and I travel to Europe a lot and what interests me is how I can use my iphone there? It would be just too expensive to use that AT&T sim card. Yes, I need to get informed about what to do for my European travels. Thanks.

I don't think I would be a jailbreak candidate at this time because I purchased "AppleCare" (which has an additional 2 years warranty). One has to think really hard to JB (look at me I am even now understanding abbreviations) because I have the extra warranty. If memory serves me right, I was told that it comes with a 90 day warranty? I am not exactly sure on that but 90 days for me is not long enough. I am locked into AT&T for now for two years and I have a 2 year AppleCare package, I would not want my warranty voided at this time. I am a seeker of information though and I travel to Europe a lot and what interests me is how I can use my iphone there? It would be just too expensive to use that AT&T sim card. Yes, I need to get informed about what to do for my European travels. Thanks.

where in europe do you travel?

about the jailbreak it does void warranty and i think its 90 days then the app extends it to 3 years.. but if you jailbreak and you for some reason need to take back the phone to apple and use your app then you can "restore" your iphone and it will remove the jailbreak so apple wont be able to tell it has been jailbroken.

the only way you can really use it in europe with any sim would be to jailbreak and unlock, or maybe you can go to att and say look because i travel a lot to europe i cant have a locked iphone and ask them if there is anything you can do to have it unlocked.. i am 99% sure they will say buy a pre paid phone and dont use your iphone but it cant hurt to try can it?:)

about the jailbreak it does void warranty and i think its 90 days then the app extends it to 3 years.. but if you jailbreak and you for some reason need to take back the phone to apple and use your app then you can "restore" your iphone and it will remove the jailbreak so apple wont be able to tell it has been jailbroken.

the only way you can really use it in europe with any sim would be to jailbreak and unlock, or maybe you can go to att and say look because i travel a lot to europe i cant have a locked iphone and ask them if there is anything you can do to have it unlocked.. i am 99% sure they will say buy a pre paid phone and dont use your iphone but it cant hurt to try can it?:)

Germany, Austria, Switzerland...but not until next year. The year is almost over and it is holiday time starting with Thanksgiving coming up soon.

Interesting about asking AT&T to unlock it (I will do it the next time I stop by that store). I think you are right, in 2007, I was in Germany and a relative had arranged for me to have a prepaid cell phone. I got it the minute I arrived. I believe it is far easier that way, but I would miss my iphone and everything I have put in there to manage myself. I was in Germay just a couple of month ago and I had to ask to get onto the Internet, which was not a problem but I just want to be independent and do my own thing without having to ask anybody. If I come up with an easy solution for travel, I will post it.

I just got off the phone with AT&T, since I got my first bill and I asked what the one time fee for $18.00 was. I was told because I upgraded to the iphone, they charge a standard fee of $18.00. I was never told that in the store and I had to have this escalated. Long story short, AT&T credited me the $18.00. Just press *225# (balance) and I confirmed that the credit was instantly applied before I let them off the phone.

Germany, Austria, Switzerland...but not until next year. The year is almost over and it is holiday time starting with Thanksgiving coming up soon.

Interesting about asking AT&T to unlock it (I will do it the next time I stop by that store). I think you are right, in 2007, I was in Germany and a relative had arranged for me to have a prepaid cell phone. I got it the minute I arrived. I believe it is far easier that way, but I would miss my iphone and everything I have put in there to manage myself. I was in Germay just a couple of month ago and I had to ask to get onto the Internet, which was not a problem but I just want to be independent and do my own thing without having to ask anybody. If I come up with an easy solution for travel, I will post it.

I just got off the phone with AT&T, since I got my first bill and I asked what the one time fee for $18.00 was. I was told because I upgraded to the iphone, they charge a standard fee of $18.00. I was never told that in the store and I had to have this escalated. Long story short, AT&T credited me the $18.00. Just press *225# (balance) and I confirmed that the credit was instantly applied before I let them off the phone.

so will they unlock it?

so will they unlock it?

I did not ask them since I did not read your suggestion after I got off the phone with AT&T. I will actually go into the store where I bought the phone and watch their facial expressions when I ask them to unlock my phone. That should be interesting if not fun to watch.

so will they unlock it?

I did not ask them since I did not read your suggestion after I got off the phone with AT&T. I will actually go into the store where I bought the phone and watch their facial expressions when I ask them to unlock my phone. That should be interesting if not fun to watch.

i dont know how they do it but they dont need the device to do it.. just information from the device...

it would be a shame to take a trip all that way for nothing though because its not likely they will un lock it for you. whats stopping you calling them back now? would take 2 seconds

so will they unlock it?

i dont know how they do it but they dont need the device to do it.. just information from the device...

it would be a shame to take a trip all that way for nothing though because its not likely they will un lock it for you. whats stopping you calling them back now? would take 2 seconds

I don't like to call AT&T...it takes more than 2 seconds, trust me. Have you ever dealt with them? You only have to inquire about a product that you have seen advertised and suddenly you bought it. It happened to me. I only inquired about some services and bundling and I got a letter thanking me for subscribing to this and to that.....Boy was I pissed. They are sales people and want to sell and if you eat into their time by asking/inquiring about a product for too long.....you bought it and this is the way they get to you. Been there, done that. They have the worst customer service ever. Since I am not going to Europe until next year, it can wait. I don't think they will unlock it either. It just would add more frustration to this beautiful day. It is nice out today and I need to catch a breath of fresh air. Like Arnold Schwarzenagger said "I will be back." :)

no, i am in europe :)

sounds like a call centre to avoid calling at all costs

Every major company in the US has outsourced its technical support. I used to work for a call center in technial support and I know how it works. They make you say all these stupid things and sound like puppets especially the ones from India and yes I want to avoid calling technical support at all costs. That is why I want to go to the AT&T store to ask the question of unlocking. They are actually employed by AT&T.

I just came back from shopping and stopped at a Kiosk where they sell cell phones. There were 3 people selling behind the counter and one customer. I just stood there looking at the phones. They were representing T-Online, Verizon and AT&T but did not have an iphone to show you. One guy was really knowledgeable. I asked about unlocking and jailbreaking. He said, it is easy and show me your phone and I will do it for you right now. I said not so fast....I have to rethink this. He looked at my phone and said, he cannot unlock it because it is version 4.1. Long story short, he showed me a phone that looks almost like the iphone and does more. It had a lot of apps on it. But he also has an iphone 3..... something. He will not upgrade because then he cannot unlock it anymore. His iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. He goes to Italy once a year and buys a prepaid card and puts in a sim card that will work in Italy. So much for my research out and about without sitting in front of the computer.

You are in Europe on a Turkish Island but I have no clue where that is. What is your first language?

Every major company in the US has outsourced its technical support. I used to work for a call center in technial support and I know how it works. They make you say all these stupid things and sound like puppets especially the ones from India and yes I want to avoid calling technical support at all costs. That is why I want to go to the AT&T store to ask the question of unlocking. They are actually employed by AT&T.

I just came back from shopping and stopped at a Kiosk where they sell cell phones. There were 3 people selling behind the counter and one customer. I just stood there looking at the phones. They were representing T-Online, Verizon and AT&T but did not have an iphone to show you. One guy was really knowledgeable. I asked about unlocking and jailbreaking. He said, it is easy and show me your phone and I will do it for you right now. I said not so fast....I have to rethink this. He looked at my phone and said, he cannot unlock it because it is version 4.1. Long story short, he showed me a phone that looks almost like the iphone and does more. It had a lot of apps on it. But he also has an iphone 3..... something. He will not upgrade because then he cannot unlock it anymore. His iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. He goes to Italy once a year and buys a prepaid card and puts in a sim card that will work in Italy. So much for my research out and about without sitting in front of the computer.

wow what store did you go to?!?!? where they would help you jailbreak and unlock?!?!?! :SSSS you did not go to atee and tee? i could of told you that you cant unlock that firmware... i meant att officially unlocking it for you.. but 4.2 is expected soon and with that a 4.1/4.2 unlock so you will be ok if you wanted to do the jailbreak thing..

and sounds to me like he tried to sell you a iphone 4 knock off that would break in 5 seconds..

lol @ the call center, i used to work for a bank and we would be given a few lines also to get customers using internet banking, so i can imagine with cell phone companies what it would be like and carriers. the call centers now days are all in india where they barely speak a word of english..

so what are you going to do now? wait for a 4.1 unlock and just jailbreak?

======

You are in Europe on a Turkish Island but I have no clue where that is. What is your first language?

why would you say that?!?!? a turkish island?!?!? who told you that rubbish??? with out going totally off topic turkey are the ones who invaded and occupy 37% of this island that no one in the world but turkey recognises... " enough politics on a iphone 4 forum lol"

but to answer your question i speak greek :) that is my first language. we are part of europe and we use the euro here..

wow what store did you go to?!?!? where they would help you jailbreak and unlock?!?!?! :SSSS you did not go to atee and tee? i could of told you that you cant unlock that firmware... i meant att officially unlocking it for you.. but 4.2 is expected soon and with that a 4.1/4.2 unlock so you will be ok if you wanted to do the jailbreak thing..

and sounds to me like he tried to sell you a iphone 4 knock off that would break in 5 seconds..

lol @ the call center, i used to work for a bank and we would be given a few lines also to get customers using internet banking, so i can imagine with cell phone companies what it would be like and carriers. the call centers now days are all in india where they barely speak a word of english..

so what are you going to do now? wait for a 4.1 unlock and just jailbreak?

======

why would you say that?!?!? a turkish island?!?!? who told you that rubbish??? with out going totally off topic turkey are the ones who invaded and occupy 37% of this island that no one in the world but turkey recognises... " enough politics on a iphone 4 forum lol"

but to answer your question i speak greek :) that is my first language. we are part of europe and we use the euro here..

I have not been to Greece but a cousin of mine goes there a lot on vacation and some other people I know own a house in Greece/Griechenland. I have a good Greek restaurant nearby and love their food. Yes, the famous euro....They should have one currency all over the world and it would make things a lot easier.

Last edited: