What's new

Jailbreak and Unlock 4.1 (READ BEFORE CREATING A NEW THREAD)

Every major company in the US has outsourced its technical support. I used to work for a call center in technial support and I know how it works. They make you say all these stupid things and sound like puppets especially the ones from India and yes I want to avoid calling technical support at all costs. That is why I want to go to the AT&T store to ask the question of unlocking. They are actually employed by AT&T.

I just came back from shopping and stopped at a Kiosk where they sell cell phones. There were 3 people selling behind the counter and one customer. I just stood there looking at the phones. They were representing T-Online, Verizon and AT&T but did not have an iphone to show you. One guy was really knowledgeable. I asked about unlocking and jailbreaking. He said, it is easy and show me your phone and I will do it for you right now. I said not so fast....I have to rethink this. He looked at my phone and said, he cannot unlock it because it is version 4.1. Long story short, he showed me a phone that looks almost like the iphone and does more. It had a lot of apps on it. But he also has an iphone 3..... something. He will not upgrade because then he cannot unlock it anymore. His iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. He goes to Italy once a year and buys a prepaid card and puts in a sim card that will work in Italy. So much for my research out and about without sitting in front of the computer.

wow what store did you go to?!?!? where they would help you jailbreak and unlock?!?!?! :SSSS you did not go to atee and tee? i could of told you that you cant unlock that firmware... i meant att officially unlocking it for you.. but 4.2 is expected soon and with that a 4.1/4.2 unlock so you will be ok if you wanted to do the jailbreak thing..

and sounds to me like he tried to sell you a iphone 4 knock off that would break in 5 seconds..

lol @ the call center, i used to work for a bank and we would be given a few lines also to get customers using internet banking, so i can imagine with cell phone companies what it would be like and carriers. the call centers now days are all in india where they barely speak a word of english..

so what are you going to do now? wait for a 4.1 unlock and just jailbreak?

======

No it was not AT&T, it was a major store where you can buy groceries, computers, telephones and even tires for your car. You have to be a member to shop there...... and when I walked in, there was this Kiosk with all these phones. I have no clue why this guy offered to unlock my iphone and jailbreak it for me. I was not a potential customer and he knew that once I pulled out my iphone. I think it was a little stupid on his part. What is the point for him doing it? He would not gain anything by doing it for me and he would ultimately be responsible for screwing up my phone if something were to go wrong. What am I going to do now you asked? I am just gathering knowledge. Right now I have no clue why I would want to jailbreak the iphone. I don't even know what apps I would want that apple does not approve. So enlighten me what good apps are out there, which I must have in order for me to want to jailbreak my phone. What am I missing. What apps are a must have?????

Hi there from Georgia(country of) :D, what do you think when will be ios4.2 ready?, i know that after 4.2 release there will be also unlock for 4.1/4.2

Every major company in the US has outsourced its technical support. I used to work for a call center in technial support and I know how it works. They make you say all these stupid things and sound like puppets especially the ones from India and yes I want to avoid calling technical support at all costs. That is why I want to go to the AT&T store to ask the question of unlocking. They are actually employed by AT&T.

I just came back from shopping and stopped at a Kiosk where they sell cell phones. There were 3 people selling behind the counter and one customer. I just stood there looking at the phones. They were representing T-Online, Verizon and AT&T but did not have an iphone to show you. One guy was really knowledgeable. I asked about unlocking and jailbreaking. He said, it is easy and show me your phone and I will do it for you right now. I said not so fast....I have to rethink this. He looked at my phone and said, he cannot unlock it because it is version 4.1. Long story short, he showed me a phone that looks almost like the iphone and does more. It had a lot of apps on it. But he also has an iphone 3..... something. He will not upgrade because then he cannot unlock it anymore. His iphone is unlocked and jailbroken. He goes to Italy once a year and buys a prepaid card and puts in a sim card that will work in Italy. So much for my research out and about without sitting in front of the computer.

wow what store did you go to?!?!? where they would help you jailbreak and unlock?!?!?! :SSSS you did not go to atee and tee? i could of told you that you cant unlock that firmware... i meant att officially unlocking it for you.. but 4.2 is expected soon and with that a 4.1/4.2 unlock so you will be ok if you wanted to do the jailbreak thing..

and sounds to me like he tried to sell you a iphone 4 knock off that would break in 5 seconds..

lol @ the call center, i used to work for a bank and we would be given a few lines also to get customers using internet banking, so i can imagine with cell phone companies what it would be like and carriers. the call centers now days are all in india where they barely speak a word of english..

so what are you going to do now? wait for a 4.1 unlock and just jailbreak?

======

You are in Europe on a Turkish Island but I have no clue where that is. What is your first language?

why would you say that?!?!? a turkish island?!?!? who told you that rubbish??? with out going totally off topic turkey are the ones who invaded and occupy 37% of this island that no one in the world but turkey recognises... " enough politics on a iphone 4 forum lol"

but to answer your question i speak greek :) that is my first language. we are part of europe and we use the euro here..

I have not been to Greece but a cousin of mine goes there a lot on vacation and some other people I know own a house in Greece/Griechenland. I have a good Greek restaurant nearby and love their food. Yes, the famous euro....They should have one currency all over the world and it would make things a lot easier.

I have not been many times to greece either as i am not from there ;p

Cyprus here <<< you have a house in greece ? very nice and you still called cyprus a turkish island? ts ts!!!!!

i wish we had the cyprus pound again it was very strong... but oh well

we are going way off topic....

tell me about the iphone, what will you do now? talk to att? wait for unlock?

Cyprus here <<< you have a house in greece ? very nice and you still called cyprus a turkish island? ts ts!!!!!

tell me about the iphone, what will you do now? talk to att? wait for unlock?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a house in Greece, people I know have one. That is why I don't know about Cyprus...I was hoping you would tell me what apps I could have and give me a reason to jailbreak?.

tell me about the iphone, what will you do now? talk to att? wait for unlock?

I don't have a house in Greece, people I know have one. That is why I don't know about Cyprus...I was hoping you would tell me what apps I could have and give me a reason to jailbreak?.

:) not many people do its a tiny island..

but yes i can tell you what apps you can get for jailbreak...

there are so many apps apple will most the time add it officially later, so my advice is if you jailbreak never pay for jailbreak apps... because they are not all free any more..

there are apps that can un restrict your 3g so you can facetime with 3g or download files larger then 20mb..

also another called sbsettings where you can slide your finger across the screen and easily turn on and off different things on the iphone like 3g and airplane mode. you can have video wallpapers..

you can change the slider icon to anything you want and change the text of the slide to unlock to anything you want as well as the text where it says your carrier you can change it...

is really about customising your phone much more which some people dont care about..

one of my favourites is that i can login with openSSH and delete official ringtone and upload my own that are more then 30 seconds, also i am able to delete those official apple iphone apps that just annoy me, like stock and weather?? what the hell do i want that crap on my iphone for lol. some people like it but its nice to be able to remove it..

you can download games and tweeks, not sure if it would interest you and there are many more reasons to jailbreak, cpy and paste was available to jailbreakers almost a year before apple officially added it, im about to upload some pics so you can see what i have done with my iphone..

IMG_0124.png

IMG_0125.png

:) not many people do its a tiny island..

but yes i can tell you what apps you can get for jailbreak...

there are so many apps apple will most the time add it officially later, so my advice is if you jailbreak never pay for jailbreak apps... because they are not all free any more..

there are apps that can un restrict your 3g so you can facetime with 3g or download files larger then 20mb..

also another called sbsettings where you can slide your finger across the screen and easily turn on and off different things on the iphone like 3g and airplane mode. you can have video wallpapers..

you can change the slider icon to anything you want and change the text of the slide to unlock to anything you want as well as the text where it says your carrier you can change it...

is really about customising your phone much more which some people dont care about..

one of my favourites is that i can login with openSSH and delete official ringtone and upload my own that are more then 30 seconds, also i am able to delete those official apple iphone apps that just annoy me, like stock and weather?? what the hell do i want that crap on my iphone for lol. some people like it but its nice to be able to remove it..

you can download games and tweeks, not sure if it would interest you and there are many more reasons to jailbreak, cpy and paste was available to jailbreakers almost a year before apple officially added it, im about to upload some pics so you can see what i have done with my iphone..

IMG_0124.png

IMG_0125.png
[/QUOTE]

Wow, you are really into it. Customizing is nice, I am not sure I would jailbreak to have it. It probably will come out with version 4.2. I am not going to be fast to get that version. I will want to know what it does more than 4.1. I don't like the ringtones on the iphone. I don't know how to get other ring tones on it or even music. I did not realize about the 30 seconds or about the 20 MB restrictions to download. I like the available Memory thing that shows on the front of your phone: You only have 268 MB left.

Let me ask you how many GB can you use on your island with your "island carrier" per month? I found out that I can use 2 GB a month. I did not know that and I know how to find out how much I used. I am making progress. What I am unclear about is the following. The 2 GB only applies to the data you are sending via iphone right, like voice mails (I love that feature) and pictures, videos). It has to do with the data you send, (correct?) and not your browsing and reading the news? I forgot to ask AT&T that but that makes sense....they want to be paid for delivering your stuff (like UPS) and they measure it in bytes.

Yes, I read somewhere that you cannot remove the apple icons at all and that a lot of people do not like the stock app and the weather app. Well, to tell you the truth, I have finally used the weather app. I really don't like conversations or emails about how the weather is here or there and the degrees and blah, blah, blah. It is probably because I am in Florida and weather is not a topic for me here at all. In order to overcome this small talk about the weather, I programmed every town that I know people in especially the ones who report the weather to me. I already announced that they do not have to tell me that anymore and that I am "connected" and that I am on top of it and know that they are freezing their ass off. I hope they are getting the hint and leave me alone about reporting to me about the weather. If you have people like that, do the same and hopefully they will shut up. It is actually good to just go into the weather and know how cold or warm it is somewhere you know somebody in.

About the copy and paste...it annoyed me because it came up all the time and I really did not want it. I was just moving the screen. I have started to use copy and paste a few times. I am disapponted in the different language keyboard. My first language is German and I want to be able to use some of the letters they use. Do you know where I can find an app for that? When I type messages in German it always throws in an American word, really annoying. I am not getting along with that little keyboard at all. I love the voice mail feature, it is fast, I talk and send it via email and I can do that in the car. A lot of people could not open it and I sent them the link to download apple quicktime player.

What is that picture that you have on your iphone? Some sort of animal, creature.....I am lost there. What exactly is SSH?

Can anyone help me? I'm interested in jailbreaking my Iphone 4 version 4.1 8B117 BB 02.10.04 I'm with at&t atm and was wondering about legality issues before jailbreaking it and doing something stupid. Can at&t charges you for jailbreaking? will they know? I know it's legal and all but I just vaguely remember the at&t guy mentioning that they request you to use debit or credit now because of jailbreaking/unlocking so they can trace you. Also it is to my knowledge that you can jailbreak the 4.1 version? just not unlocking it at least until the official release of 4.2? and I can jailbreak with limera1n or GP? If anyone can answer these questions it would be great and thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also after jailbreaking it are there ways to program apps without signing up with apple's dev team? and is there a way to program on window instead of a mac?

Last edited:
Can anyone help me? I'm interested in jailbreaking my Iphone 4 version 4.1 8B117 BB 02.10.04 I'm with at&t atm and was wondering about legality issues before jailbreaking it and doing something stupid. Can at&t charges you for jailbreaking? will they know? I know it's legal and all but I just vaguely remember the at&t guy mentioning that they request you to use debit or credit now because of jailbreaking/unlocking so they can trace you. Also it is to my knowledge that you can jailbreak the 4.1 version? just not unlocking it at least until the official release of 4.2? and I can jailbreak with limera1n or GP? If anyone can answer these questions it would be great and thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also after jailbreaking it are there ways to program apps without signing up with apple's dev team? and is there a way to program on window instead of a mac?

well some of my friends have plugged into itunes and itunes has said your iphone is jailbroken please restore lol

i never had that problem to be honest, and its legal in the us though apple still says its voids your warranty..

i would use greenpois0n if your going to do it.

and to develop app store apps you have to download the xcode - iphone sdk fromt heir website and login to do so, you dont have to pay 99 bucks but you still sign in with your apple username/pass the normal one you use to download app store apps..

or you can probably find a website to dl it from with out having to go to apple, its not like it costs anything any way. you just need a mac

thanks for your response. hmm I when i bought it which is only a few weeks ago they required you to purchase it with a card. They wont accept anything else, cash, check ect. You need to have a credit/debit card to buy it. And I just vaguely remember the guy saying they might trace you and such. If that's true kinda stupid to charge someone to customized their phone. Anyway i'll look at the TOS and such. Thanks again paliometoxo

thanks for your response. hmm I when i bought it which is only a few weeks ago they required you to purchase it with a card. They wont accept anything else, cash, check ect. You need to have a credit/debit card to buy it. And I just vaguely remember the guy saying they might trace you and such. If that's true kinda stupid to charge someone to customized their phone. Anyway i'll look at the TOS and such. Thanks again paliometoxo

its bs just to scare you off doing it. though its legal to jailbreak and unlock ... trace you LOL that guy is funny

waiting for 4.2 release, apple released beta versions but in the last beta version there was a wi-fi issue, so apple devs are working on that and it means that unlock is delayed, but i think that it will be ready by the end of the month

waiting for 4.2 release, apple released beta versions but in the last beta version there was a wi-fi issue, so apple devs are working on that and it means that unlock is delayed, but i think that it will be ready by the end of the month

yes second gm was released so give it a week or two for testing make sure everything is working well before release so they dont get a tone of complaints about how buggy it is...

4.2 is going to be good...

Apple releases iOS 4. 2 Golden Master to devs, iOS 4. 2 jailbreak due 2 days after public release