What's new

I've noticed that the camera lens protrudes

ardchoille

Reaction score
Not the best choice, in my opinion, but perhaps it was necessary. The iPhone 6 is the first time that I've seriously considered keeping my iPhone in a case. I know the camera lens is covered with sapphire crystal, but I can't help feeling that it will end up getting scratched. Is sapphire strong enough to avoid scratches with daily handling?

Sapphire is the hardest substance next to diamond. There should be very little chance of scratching the cover over the camera lens in normal use. Sapphire as well as being much harder than glass is also more brittle. It could be possible to chip the sapphire cover if it's hit hard enough with a hard object. In practice, though, you're unlikely ever to see that happen. I've worn a wristwatch with a sapphire crystal for over 30 years and there isn't a single scratch or chip on the crystal.

The reason the lens protrudes is because Apple couldn't get it as thin as the phone itself and still protect the camera lens with the sapphire cover. That's the price we pay for getting such a thin phone.

Sapphire is the hardest substance next to diamond. There should be very little chance of scratching the cover over the camera lens in normal use. Sapphire as well as being much harder than glass is also more brittle. It could be possible to chip the sapphire cover if it's hit hard enough with a hard object. In practice, though, you're unlikely ever to see that happen. I've worn a wristwatch with a sapphire crystal for over 30 years and there isn't a single scratch or chip on the crystal.

The reason the lens protrudes is because Apple couldn't get it as thin as the phone itself and still protect the camera lens with the sapphire cover. That's the price we pay for getting such a thin phone.

Thank you for the info on sapphire, I had no idea it was that tough.

Yeah, I've never really been a fan of the "thinnest phone" craze, but I understand why Apple did it.

I'll invest in a good case, it just seems like a good idea now.

Thank you for the info on sapphire, I had no idea it was that tough.

Yeah, I've never really been a fan of the "thinnest phone" craze, but I understand why Apple did it.

I'll invest in a good case, it just seems like a good idea now.
If the case material is at least as thick as the protruding camera cover it takes care of the possibility of it catching on anything.

If the case material is at least as thick as the protruding camera cover it takes care of the possibility of it catching on anything.

Yeah, good point, I was just thinking about that. And, I'm going to have to be picky about the case, I've never really liked cases on my iPhones. I should probably check out Otterbox and Incipio, I've heard good things about their cases.

Yeah, good point, I was just thinking about that. And, I'm going to have to be picky about the case, I've never really liked cases on my iPhones. I should probably check out Otterbox and Incipio, I've heard good things about their cases.
You'll have to consider the bulk of the case as well as its level of protection. The Otterbox is quite bulky and is what I'm using right now. I've never used the Incipio case but it appears much slimmer.

Buy a Spigen Thin Fit series case, you won't even know there's a case. The thin fit series is seriously the best fitting and sleekest case I've ever had for any model phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I couldn't find any Incipio cases locally but I did find several Otter Box cases at our local Best Buy. After looking at them for bulk and price, I decided on the Otter Box Symmetry case. It's thick enough to protect the camera lens yet thin enough to feel comfortable. The Otter Box Commuter was the other one I liked, but I'm happy with this case.

Well, I couldn't find any Incipio cases locally but I did find several Otter Box cases at our local Best Buy. After looking at them for bulk and price, I decided on the Otter Box Symmetry case. It's thick enough to protect the camera lens yet thin enough to feel comfortable. The Otter Box Commuter was the other one I liked, but I'm happy with this case.
That's what's most important, that you be satisfied with your choice.