What's new

Itunes Error

perrysrc

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to back up my iphone 5 to itunes but i keep getting the following error message:

"itunes could not back up iphone because the back up could not be saved to this computer"

I have restarted itunes and my phone but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Perry

i have just purchased a 500gb retina mac book pro and still have 465gb free on it and 6gb on iPhone.

Since you didn't say what type of PC or OS you are using I am going to assume this is a Windows Vista or Windows 7 based machine. If that is the case, close iTunes and then right mouse click on the icon to launch it and select from the pop up menu "Run as Administrator".

I am on mac book pro retina display 500gb running mountain lion.

I am on mac book pro retina display 500gb running mountain lion.

In that case, please try and update iTunes. I believe you can get that message when an older version of iTunes is being used with a newer version of iOS.

Can you back up to iCloud? Are you backing up wirelessly?

i am using cable to back up to computer do not use icloud for back up as only get 5gb free and i have to much data and dont want to pay extra for iCloud.

Then you are looking at a permissions issue with the sub folder you are trying to save data to. Sadly my iMac is once again in for repair, so I can not look up the exact steps for you but I have an idea you can research.

Launch the hard disk utility and click on the hard drive. There should be a "repair permissions" some where on the screen. Click it.

That might clear up your issue.

Sorry for repeating there. Have you tried to do it wirelessly? Mine play up like *BLEEP* with a cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
cannot find repair permission option and yes does work wirelessly but need to have it on mac..

Hopefully someone with OSX can chime in with the exact procedure to repair permissions.

Yh can send wirelessly to the mac. Put the phone on charge (not connected to mac). Open iTunes and let it find the phone. Then it will automatically back up to iTunes. The new iOS works better without cables ;)