What's new

iTUNES cannot detect iphone

O my goodness, you guys just totally lose me....
I don't know if I am jailbroken or not...
but i know i m on unlocked, the phone originally is with a carrier that is different from mine.
i got it unlock at a repair place about a month ago.

yes, after pressing "update software" on itunes (which was a month ago), then i was stuck in recovery for 2 weeks, getting different kind of errors, b4 i went to get it fixed at a repair shop

Does your iPhone still turn on and functioning with apps etc. And just won't show up in iTunes?

Wasn't able to find my post....

yes, it turns on and functioning...just wont show up on itunes
after all the discussion, so would post#2 suggestion still apply?
i haven't tried yet, because i dont want to be stuck with the screen of the usb plugging to something....

maomao107 said:

i haven't tried yet, because i dont want to be stuck with the screen of the usb plugging to something....

Well the thing is your software unlocked. This means if you use DFU mode to restore your firmware (which if iTunes isn't detecting it, this will need to be done). It'll probably upgrade your baseband. I'm not sure, but if it does you WON'T be able to change the baseband back. Therefore rendering your phone useless (since you won't be able to make calls).

I would recommend doing what was said in post 2 before going into dfu mode and restoring, as this will mean you need to re unlock your phone to use your sim. And all your data will be gone unless you have it backed up

maomao107 said:

Well the thing is your software unlocked. This means if you use DFU mode to restore your firmware (which if iTunes isn't detecting it, this will need to be done). It'll probably upgrade your baseband. I'm not sure, but if it does you WON'T be able to change the baseband back. Therefore rendering your phone useless (since you won't be able to make calls).

The newest gevey sim can unlock 4.3.5 and baseband 4.10.01 on most phones (doesn't always work on every phOne unfortunately)

if you just want itunes for putting music on your iphone you could also use an application for your computer (windows?) called ifunbox and this can be used to backup apps also

What model phone is it? When you hit update you likely updated your baseband to a baseband that is not unlockable with a software unlock. If you have a 3G/3Gs you can use Redsn0w to update your baseband to 06.15.00 which is unlockable but if you have an iPhone4 your only option will be to buy a Gevey Ultra SIM

I would recommend doing what was said in post 2 before going into dfu mode and restoring, as this will mean you need to re unlock your phone to use your sim. And all your data will be gone unless you have it backed up

So doing what's on post #2 should work and wont put my phone in out-of-service mode again?
no, i have no backup and how to do that?
i m using: 4.3.3.......whatever that means...

my phone is 3gs
actually i want to put music and update my apps...does the ifunbox help updating apps too?
i m not on mac....just window, window7 starter and vista.

argh, this is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

So doing what's on post #2 should work and wont put my phone in out-of-service mode again?

my phone is 3gs
actually i want to put music and update my apps...does the ifunbox help updating apps too?

you can just go into app store on your iphone and then click bottom right corner to update your apps
iTunes Alternative for iPod iPhone and iPad: A look at 5 Free Tools
try this site for music management otherwise ifunbox usually will show your phone

my phone is 3gs

you can just go into app store on your iphone and then click bottom right corner to update your apps
try this site for music management otherwise ifunbox usually will show your phone

wow! really? i can just dl my apps from my iphone?
that means "update" right? if i "update" it, then will i go to the recovery mode again (the pic with the usb plugging to something)?

maomao107 said:
that means "update" right? if i "update" it, then will i go to the recovery mode again (the pic with the usb plugging to something)?

If you download updates from the app store you won't be required to respiring.

my phone is 3gs

updating the apps wont send you into recovery mode only if you try update the phone via itunes it will put you in recovery loop mode [=

updating the apps wont send you into recovery mode only if you try update the phone via itunes it will put you in recovery loop mode [=

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try now.
if there are apps i dint want on my phone, how do i delete it?
by the way, that website is great, which one do u recommend? or is ifunbox better?
the Copy Trans Manager says i need " iPhone drivers installed " in order to use this program, how can i install?

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try now.
by the way, that website is great, which one do u recommend? or is ifunbox better?
the Copy Trans Manager says i need " iPhone drivers installed " in order to use this program, how can i install?

there are 2 ways that you can delete apps from your iPhone.
1.) tap hold on any app on your home screen until they all (apps) start wiggling, then you will see a red minus (-) sign on top left of each apps. Tap on that red minus sign to delete the app you do not want.
2.) connect your iPhone to your computer and open up iTunes, click on your iPhone icon in left panel of iTunes then click on "apps" tab. There you can uncheck any app you do not want and then sync it.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try now.

just hold down on the icon till the icons start wriggling then click the little x or - up the top left of the icon
just update your itunes and that should sort out the driver problem