What's new

Issues with iPhone 5S- Touch ID

DrMajor

Reaction score
I have an issue with my new iPHone 5S that I am hoping someone can help resolve. I recently purchased the iphone 5s yesterday and the phone works just fine.. except for a particular feature with Touch ID- the Fingerprint Sensor on this device. The sensor works just fine, however, when you set up the fingerprint feature on the phone, you are also asked to choose a security code. Apparently this has been designed as a fail-safe mechanism that if after several failed attempts of the device to read your fingerprint, it will offer option to enter a security passcode. I understand that design, but what I do not understand is that when you put the pone to 'sleep' or after it auto-shuts off.. when you turn the device back on again, it asked for a security code and NOT only the your fingerprint. And so... in the settings, there is no way to make the phone just require the fingerprint ONLY when attempting to access the phone. So.. if someone steals or knows your passcode, the supposed 'Finger-Print' Security feature means absolutely NOTHING, because after you enter the security code, it immediately unlocks the phone and bypasses the requirement for the FIngerprint recognition. I have discussed this case with two apple representatives with Apple Care last night. The second advised was with the senior help desk and she said that she and her colleagues there have not encountered this problem as of yet and that they will have to present this to the software engineers with Apple and get back to me next week!@#$? We tried every way possible in settings to resolve this but it will not work. When you " turn the pass-code off" in settings, you are then restricted from accessing the finger-print menu on the phone!@#! I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me on this issue.- Kind Regards

Must say, I can't wait to see how this plays out.

But I can just about guarantee they won't change the behavior. Let's list the numbers of reasons why.

1) Home button breaks.
2) Memory corruption of the scan.
3) Your fingerprint becomes damaged.

All real possibilities. And without a secondary, easy to access means to unlock the phone you just made the device useless.

And Apple doesn't need a class action lawsuit from people locking themselves out of their phones and being pissed about it.

With this info, I am now sure I will never find the need to use the fingerprint scanner. I would have thought they would use the passcode feature as "backup" if any of the scenarios you list happened. Just like your "security question" when registering for a secure website.

With this info, I am now sure I will never find the need to use the fingerprint scanner. I would have thought they would use the passcode feature as "backup" if any of the scenarios you list happened. Just like your "security question" when registering for a secure website.

It IS the backup feature.

It's really interesting the the most advanced feature of any cell phone currently made is the single most misunderstood or mistrusted piece of it.

I would be curious to know the rate of failure for passcodes.

The forum won't let me post them, but I have seen several mainstream publications questioning the use of the scanner. Even Senator Al Franken is questioning it. People are pretty darn paranoid right now with the Google, NSA, Snowden, AP "non-scandals".

I would be curious to know the rate of failure for passcodes.

The forum won't let me post them, but I have seen several mainstream publications questioning the use of the scanner. Even Senator Al Franken is questioning it. People are pretty darn paranoid right now with the Google, NSA, Snowden, AP "non-scandals".

Please do not mistake fear and ignorance as legitimate reasons to not use something.

Keep this in mind. The NSA and FBI both put out memos that no one was allowed to bring a Furby into the office. Because the Furby could "learn". The makers of Furby had to break a lot of kids hearts when they had to publicly state how the speaking chip was on a count down to pronounce the few words it knew properly. NSA and FBI came off looking like idiots.

Yeah, Al Franken used to be a comedian. Let that sink in for a bit before you take his side on technology issues. Which he has NO real background in.

Even though it's asking for the numeric code, all you have to do is put your fingerprint on the home button and the phone will unlock.

Even though it's asking for the numeric code, all you have to do is put your fingerprint on the home button and the phone will unlock.
that's what I was doing wrong Thank you. I was having the sane problem. But I didn't say anything cause I was sure I was doing something wrong lol. You set me straight thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net