What's new

ISO WiFi Router Recommendation

NoBite

Reaction score
My Apple Extreme router has been fantastic. However, this week we have started to hear the fan. A search of this topic in Apple’s community forums leads me to believe that this is the beginning of the end for this router. Maybe not immediately, but I’ve not found any remedies that I feel qualified to undertake. So, since Apple has decided that routers are not in their plans going forward, I am looking for suggestions for a replacement. We stream our TV viewing, so I don’t want to skimp on quality. Recommendations?

I’ve been using an Asus RT-AC68U. They have excellent range and more programming options than anyone will ever need. I’ve been using two of them for a couple years without any issues at all. I’m sure that by now there is probably a newer version with even more bells and whistles. It was just under $200.

I’ve been using an Asus RT-AC68U. They have excellent range and more programming options than anyone will ever need. I’ve been using two of them for a couple years without any issues at all. I’m sure that by now there is probably a newer version with even more bells and whistles. It was just under $200.

Compared to a lot of folks, our usage is modest. We have 100 Mgps service. Two TVs with Roku sticks, two iPhones, two iPads, one desktop and one WiFi connected printer. We aren’t big gamers. All our devices are on one floor. Prob 1800 square feet. Entirely Apple household, except for Roku. Need something that’s easy to setup, secure, and enough to handle our needs without paying for overkill we’d never use.

I’ve been using my Asus router in a three level, 1600 square foot townhome without any issues. There’s just the wife and I and two of us streaming at the same time, even HD videos hasn’t been a problem. My router is located in a corner of the house in the top level. Even outside at the opposite corner of the house hasn’t been a problem. I can walk a hundred feet or so away from the house and still have a usable Wi-Fi signal on my phone. The best advice I can offer is to read several reviews on each router you think may work for you and make up your mind from there. Good luck.