What's new

is there a way to change the look of only the apps?

showjet95

Reaction score
K well I wanna keep my phone looking the way it is and my wallpaper but I just wanna change the way the apps look, like as far as shape, is there a way to do this or a theme for it? thanks!

Just look up springboar themes in cydia or rock. Or, you can do what i do. Look online and grab whatever icons you want and make them a 118x120 .png file and manually replace the icon image with it.

Can you do that without Winterboard? In each Apps file there is iTunesArtwork that is the default icon. I'm not sure if you can change that. With winterboard themes, they have folders marked icons or you can create them. You could create a theme using your own Wallpaper and add the type of icons you want. If you don't know how to create a Theme, you could just strip a lame Theme down and add what you want to it.

Can you do that without Winterboard? In each Apps file there is iTunesArtwork that is the default icon. I'm not sure if you can change that. With winterboard themes, they have folders marked icons or you can create them. You could create a theme using your own Wallpaper and add the type of icons you want. If you don't know how to create a Theme, you could just strip a lame Theme down and add what you want to it.

Yeah you can manually replace the files yoursel instead of having winterboard activated. Most of the default app names are going to be [email protected]. If you have a non iphone 4 itll be icon.png. For the iphone 4 icon size, its 118x120 pixels. Also, some apps are named a lil different. For example, the ipod app icon is named [email protected]

how do I manually replace them? Im not sure how to rename a file or even get into a file on my phone...

-If u have windows, use winscp.
-If you have mac, use cyberduck.
-On your phone, make sure open ssh is installed.
-Use one of the above mentioned programs to access your phone's system files
-for iphone 4, the image files that are used are going to end with @2x.png. Most app icons are going to be called [email protected].
-for non iphone 4, its just icon.png etc
-just replace the icon with the custom one.
-whenever you change files, you always have to respring for changes to take effect

CAUTION: WHEN CHANGING SYSTEM FILES, ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE CHANGING.

ok what if I wanna use the icon look from another winterbaord theme? the only reason I dont use the theme is because I cant use my wallpaper w it because of the 4.0 software or whatever

how do I manually replace them? Im not sure how to rename a file or even get into a file on my phone...

If you don't really know how to rename a file, you probably shouldn't try to mod files on your phone. Rather get a friend to do it for you..

Its rather easy yes, but to rename a file is a very basic thing, just wanted to give you a heads up.
However, if you feel comfortable to do this, you probably will be just fine, after all, its rather easy... :)

ok what if I wanna use the icon look from another winterbaord theme? the only reason I dont use the theme is because I cant use my wallpaper w it because of the 4.0 software or whatever

-What i would do is download the winterboard theme with the icons you wanted
-look for the icons in /library/themes/(theme you downloaded)/icons
-copy the icons to a safe folder.
-uninstall the theme
-replace the icons with the ones you wanted/saved in a safe folder.

NOTICE: for anyone interested in doing this, it is a very tedious/time consuming process. The only reason ppl do this is because it does not use winterboard to change the look which results in better memory usage and less battery drain. The more things you have winterboard replacing, the slower and more draining you phone is. The good thing about winterboard is its just fast and easy to disable a theme and go back to normal look

so just because I have different themes or whatever else in my winterboard doesnt mean they will drain battery life or cause the phone to slow down UNLESS they are checked and running correct? because I do have alot downloaded in there but most arent in use.

so just because I have different themes or whatever else in my winterboard doesnt mean they will drain battery life or cause the phone to slow down UNLESS they are checked and running correct? because I do have alot downloaded in there but most arent in use.

I think its not draining battery/memory if its not activated so you should be okay