What's new

is the iPhone4 more reliable than android?

being anti all things Apple, i've been hooked on the ip4 since i tried my brother-in-laws phone. the annoying things for are having no memory slots. when i was on M$ mobiles i could hold a card on the phone, use card to drop/copy product image files onto clients pc's.

it is not user friendly when putting films and music onto the iphone or ipad, also there seems no way to make one device's data the 'master'. i have both the iphone4, and ipad2 and use M$ Outlook. i get multiple duplicated entries all over the place. turned off sync to icloud which helps, but i have to keep pruning duplicated contacts and diary entries.

Coming from the world of Droidds, I can tell you that in MY opinion the iPhone is head and shoulders above the competition. The two 4S phones I have ARE faster than, my sister's four iPhone 4's.

Siri, I FREAKING LOVE IT! It takes a little practice but it works great for me. I RARELY use my keyboard now. The keyboard is the weakest link for me, it's just too small for my old arthritic hands. Siri is so fast and accurate it amazes me on a daily basis. It is hands down the best voice recognition implementation I've ever dealt with. 'Nuff said.

My 20 year old, Droid-Aholic daughter has the Galaxy S2 and wants a 4S now. She was an Apple hater and never tried an iPhone until I bought 2 of them, and now she wants to change camps.

It all comes down to personal preferences. I love the 4S. It does have room for improvement, but I can't see myself ever buying another Android phone again. This is MY personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Wow.. makes me love iPhone over the Maxx I was planning on getting.

iPhone better than Android? Yes and no.

Android is an operating system, I consider iOS and Android equal. Both have pros and cons.

Now, the iPhone itself is better in some ways than many phones that run the Android OS. The iPhone is also worse in a few ways than some phones running the Android OS.

You can't really compare an phone to an OS.

iPhone better than Android? Yes and no.

Android is an operating system, I consider iOS and Android equal. Both have pros and cons.

Now, the iPhone itself is better in some ways than many phones that run the Android OS. The iPhone is also worse in a few ways than some phones running the Android OS.

You can't really compare an phone to an OS.

Can you elaborate a little.

Both operating systems are really good. I think the final verdict is based on personal preference rather than a better OS.

Had both. Android = unreliable, reboot-loving, freeze-up-screen-loving...aka buggy. Currently running lastest Gingerbread on Nexus S.

Keep in mind I have never owned an Android device, but reading posts from Android converts that join up here, would it be fair to say that the iPhone and iOS platform itself is more "stable" than the Android platform?

Well the gf wants to get iphones and I was kinda interested in Siri but it didn't work well in the store so we're probably gonna get just regular iphone4s since theyre much cheaper. My HTC eris was buggy but I kinda got along with it. I would type too fast on the phone so I hope the ip4 can keep up.
I am very resentful of apple products but after trying every other mp3 player--years ago--I finally broke down and got an ipod and whiel itunes is a real pita it worked the best and I'm still using it. Hopefully iPhone will have a similar story. Didn't know how long until ice cream sandwich was gonna come out nor how good it would be plus payin $200 for a new droid 4 seems kinda crazy, maybe I'm just cheap but unless it did some truly amazing crap I couldn't justify it.

crowd pleaser said:
being anti all things Apple, i've been hooked on the ip4 since i tried my brother-in-laws phone. the annoying things for are having no memory slots. when i was on M$ mobiles i could hold a card on the phone, use card to drop/copy product image files onto clients pc's.

it is not user friendly when putting films and music onto the iphone or ipad, also there seems no way to make one device's data the 'master'. i have both the iphone4, and ipad2 and use M$ Outlook. i get multiple duplicated entries all over the place. turned off sync to icloud which helps, but i have to keep pruning duplicated contacts and diary entries.

With an iPhone you don't need a memory card. The phone itself can be a USB flash drive. I store entire programs in my phones root partition and there is plenty of space. All you need is i-FunBox.

Drag literally any file to "General Storage". That's if your not jailbroken. If your jailbroken, you can store files in the root partition and access most files right on the phone provided you have iFile installed.

i have a 3tb NAS, which i can remote access, but large files take a long time to upload this way.

so i agree there are options. but they do not cover the needs for additional storage conveniently offered by a card slot, of which some handset models have 2.

Originally i had the 16gb ip4, business use soon filled it up, so when i lost it i got the 32gb. The additional cost involved was far more and less secure, than having a library of 8GB SD cards which i deliberately kept apart from the phone, as i used to with WM phones.

Not a deal breaker but an inconvenience.

wouldn't 'the cloud' or a version of that, help with your business issue instead of having both phones? I would only presume that it'd be extremely slow to stream the large files to and from the phone.
A second question is what are the risks vs rewards for jail breaking? Getting root access vs "bricking" the phone, like an android?

Voidchaser said:
wouldn't 'the cloud' or a version of that, help with your business issue instead of having both phones? I would only presume that it'd be extremely slow to stream the large files to and from the phone.
A second question is what are the risks vs rewards for jail breaking? Getting root access vs "bricking" the phone, like an android?

slow transfer from cloud s much the same as remote transfer from home, both also require a good service or you hook into clients WiFi.

i've not jail broken or intend to. it's my opinion once you step outside Apple's restrictive but protective zone, you lay yourself bare to unscrupulous and/or incompetent software authors.

no real point in asking as jb fanzine will shout you down, so i suggest just look through the threads, most problems are with jail braking, long time friend of mine has jail broken his, showed me all the flashy screens etc - i watched how many times it locked up in just a few minutes.

fine if thats fine with 'you', but i do not have time for this - or i would have simply bought an android, or stuck with windows mobiles ;).

i have a 3tb NAS, which i can remote access, but large files take a long time to upload this way.

so i agree there are options. but they do not cover the needs for additional storage conveniently offered by a card slot, of which some handset models have 2.

Originally i had the 16gb ip4, business use soon filled it up, so when i lost it i got the 32gb. The additional cost involved was far more and less secure, than having a library of 8GB SD cards which i deliberately kept apart from the phone, as i used to with WM phones.

Not a deal breaker but an inconvenience.

This is what I'm concerned about.. I need space and access to files for work and projects. Don't know if the iPhone can handle it.

It would depend on the size of the files you need and the user experience of both the user interface and also the apps.

I have a lot of manuals in PDF format, also photos and video of site surveys.

I keep copies of quotes and outstanding invoices, which ix useful for credit control.

The old excuse of "we have not received or have lost your invoice" can be addressed in seconds by emailing a copy and confirming receipt, removes one time honoured device of slow payers.