What's new

New Research Shows That iPhones Fail More Than Android Phones

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Survey finds iPhones fail more than Android phones.JPG

BGR reports today on some interesting research from Blancco Technology Group (BTG) regarding device performance. BTG collected performance data from millions of mobile phones in 2016 Q2 using its mobile diagnostic tools. BTG then used the data to find out how often, and why, smartphones fail, and which are the third-party apps that crash more often on Android and iOS phones.

BTG’s figures show that for the period surveyed, 58% of iOS devices failed, compared with 35% of Android devices. When broken down into individual models, for the iOS devices the iPhone 6 had the highest failure rate at 29%, and the iPhone 5s had the lowest failure rate at 8%. As far as individual Android manufacturers were concerned, Samsung had the highest failure rate with 26%, and Asus had the lowest with 7%.

BTG says that the term “failure” includes a variety of first-party and third-party issues, including Wi-Fi connectivity problems, malfunctioning headsets, and phone reboots.

BTG’s figures revealed that 50% of the iPhones in its study crashed, compared with just 23% of Android devices.

As for which apps crashed the most, on iOS it was Snapchat (17%), Instagram (14%), Facebook (9%), Facebook Messenger (5%) and Google (3%). The apps that crashed the most on Android phones were Google Play Services (12%), Google Contacts Sync (5%), Address Book (5%), Photos (5%), and Samsung’s TouchWiz Home launcher (5%).

Source: New study finds iPhones fail far more often than Android phones

I think it depends on who's using the phone and how they use it. I've used iPhones since the iPhone 4, I use mine for home and work and I've had this 6 plus since it came out. This is prob the first iPhone that I haven't broken and I think I'm pretty rough on one. My kids (in their 20's) use Samsung and HTC phones and usually have to have them replaced. For failure of some sort or from damage.

That article uses a very loose definition of failure that could have skewed the results. For example; if the iPhone reboots, it's counted just as much a failure as hardware issues such as a failed graphics processor or a failed backlight.

Have to agree with scifan. A friend recently bought a 6+ it dropped flat on a concrete floor with absolutely no damage.
It could have been worse l know but that's not that fault of the iPhone. Also she has insurance for 5euro a month so she doesn't mind.
Scratches are not included.
Ps. My 8% 5s is working great. Tomorrow it might not be.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.