What's new

Is it possible to unlock an iPhone 4 and not get charged data usage?

gnozahs

Reaction score
I have heard of the 3g and 3gs unlocked iPhones getting charged a data fee because AT&T eventually found out that you were using an iPhone without buying their data plan. Is this the same for the iPhone 4? I want an iPhone 4 but I don't have nor want the data plan. I use wifi a lot anyways. And if it is possible, what ios's are unlockable and which ones should I not buy?

Last edited:
Unlocking simply allows you to use your iPhone on a different carrier than it's locked to, i.e. At&t. It doesn't in any way bypass the need for a data plan.

Unlocking simply allows you to use your iPhone on a different carrier than it's locked to, i.e. At&t. It doesn't in any way bypass the need for a data plan.

So since I only have AT&T call and unl. text, if I put my sim into an unlocked iPhone 4, it'll still charge me for a data plan even if I turn off the 3g?

gnozahs said:
So since I only have AT&T call and unl. text, if I put my sim into an unlocked iPhone 4, it'll still charge me for a data plan even if I turn off the 3g?

Correct... AT&T's servers will recognize that you're using a smartphone that, by their policy, requires a data plan.