What's new

is it illegal to unlock my 3gs?

Zentost

Reaction score
sorry been away from the iWorld for a long time, but I'm back on my 3gs and want to use it with t-mobile. I hear theres a new law that says unlocking cellphones is illegal, does this apply to my old iphone 3gs?

Also I have been looking at this ebay unlock where I send in my IMEI, is it legal? does it work good?

Or should I jailbreak + ultrasn0w...is that illegal?

edit- isnt the law that u cant unlock phones made AFTER january 2013? So my 3gs should be fine right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's only for devices that were originally purchased after January 26th, 2013. Any devices purchased on January 26th, 2013 or prior to that date can legally be unlocked via IMEI unlocks. Carrier unlocks will always be legal, regardless of when your device is purchased.

That's only for devices that were originally purchased after January 26th, 2013. Any devices purchased on January 26th, 2013 or prior to that date can legally be unlocked via IMEI unlocks. Carrier unlocks will always be legal, regardless of when your device is purchased.

thanks, so by purchased do you mean sold from apple or att or when YOU bought the phone?

for example, i bought this phone refurbed at gamestop january 2012.....so if i had gotten this refurbed at gamestop february 2013, i could legally NOT do an IMEI unlock through ebay? Also whats the legality of Ultrasn0w unlock?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter where, as long as the original purchase date is prior to Janurary 26th. Original meaning the first person to ever buy the device brand new sealed in-box. If you purchased your device second hand or used or whichever on Janurary 27th, it's still legal to jailbreak it. Unless the device was purchased brand new from any carrier or retail on the morning of the 26th, and the owner didn't like it and sold it at the corner of where he bought it, and you bought it from that other guy 2 minutes later, then your device will NOT fall under the "illegal status"