What's new

Is A Locked and Listed iPhone Really, Truly Disabled?

DerbyDad03

Reaction score
My daughter could not find her iPhone so we looked for it with Find My iPhone. It was on the move yesterday, but has been stationary for the last 24 hours. She is talking to the police about her options, but in the meantime I have a question.

Verizon has suspended her service and placed the phone on the Lost/Stolen list. I used Find My iPhone to lock the device with a password and placed a message on the screen to call me "if found". We're pretty sure it has already been "found". :-(

According to both Verizon and Apple, the iPhone can not be activated, not on the Verizon network nor any other network because 1) it is a Verizon phone, 2) it is locked with a password and 3) it is on the Lost/Stolen list.

Here's my question: Is the iPhone really, truly disabled? I assume that both Verizon and Apple and talking about using normal, "legal" means of activation, but I'm wondering if there is a way to flash the phone, short out a chip, or some other way around both the lock and the list.

Note: I am not asking for the method or any hint as to the method. I'm just curious as to whether or not the iPhone is truly disabled or are there software/hardware ways around the lock/list.

Thanks!

If I used a signature, it would be placed here.

DerbyDad03 said:
My daughter could not find her iPhone so we looked for it with Find My iPhone. It was on the move yesterday, but has been stationary for the last 24 hours. She is talking to the police about her options, but in the meantime I have a question.

Verizon has suspended her service and placed the phone on the Lost/Stolen list. I used Find My iPhone to lock the device with a password and placed a message on the screen to call me "if found". We're pretty sure it has already been "found". :-(

According to both Verizon and Apple, the iPhone can not be activated, not on the Verizon network nor any other network because 1) it is a Verizon phone, 2) it is locked with a password and 3) it is on the Lost/Stolen list.

Here's my question: Is the iPhone really, truly disabled? I assume that both Verizon and Apple and talking about using normal, "legal" means of activation, but I'm wondering if there is a way to flash the phone, short out a chip, or some other way around both the lock and the list.

Note: I am not asking for the method or any hint as to the method. I'm just curious as to whether or not the iPhone is truly disabled or are there software/hardware ways around the lock/list.

Thanks!

If the original owner of the phone, with proof of ownership, asks to have the phone removed from the lost/stolen list, it should be possible to do so. I suggest you call your cellular provider after you recover the phone and ask them for a definite answer.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Thank you for that information, but I already know that my provider will remove the iPhone from the list if I recover it.

That was not the point of my question. I was trying to find out if anybody else could use the phone - other than the original owner.

Is it true that in the hands of anyone other than the original owner the locked and listed iPhone is a brick?

Thanks again.

DerbyDad03 said:
Thank you for that information, but I already know that my provider will remove the iPhone from the list if I recover it.

That was not the point of my question. I was trying to find out if anybody else could use the phone - other than the original owner.

Is it true that in the hands of anyone other than the original owner the locked and listed iPhone is a brick?

Thanks again.

There are third party unlocking services that could unlock the phone for someone else to use.

If the phone has been blacklist IMEI locked, there is no way around it. Verizon would have to remove the lock from the GSMA IMEI database as no other carrier can remove a Verizon lock. They would also have blocked it on their own CDMA database.

So yes, it would be an iPod touch...

Doesn't calling it an iPod Touch mean that it could be unlocked? I locked it with a passcode via Find My iPhone. Are you saying that there is a way around that lock?

If it is put into DFU mode is the content on the device readable? Contacts, messages, photos, other stored data?

Through Find My iPhone, it is now set to wipe itself clean when it connects to the Internet. Will that prevent the data from being read if put into DFU mode?

Obviously I'm concerned about my daughter's personal stuff being accessible.

Thanks.

If it is put into DFU mode is the content on the device readable? Contacts, messages, photos, other stored data?

Through Find My iPhone, it is now set to wipe itself clean when it connects to the Internet. Will that prevent the data from being read if put into DFU mode?

Obviously I'm concerned about my daughter's personal stuff being accessible.

Thanks.

The contents of your iPhone are safe. The phone can be restored via DFU mode, but all of the contents/data will be wiped out, so you at least don't have to worry about that.

Thank you all for the information.

Last edited: