What's new

Using iPhone when it isn't activated

Sealtea116

Reaction score
So my girlfriend just upgraded her Verizon iPhone 4 to the 4s and gave me the old phone so that I can use it as if it was an iPod touch. The problem that I am having is now that it isn't active on the Verizon network I can't access the wifi. I go and try to acess the wifi and it is grey. Is there a way I can use the wifi feature even tho it isn't connected to the Verizon network
Thanks

You should be able to use the phone as an iPod even though it's not connected to Verizon. I'm not certain why your wifi turn grey but Is the bluetooth grey as well? if yes then try to factory restore the iPhone.

Did a factory restore also jailbreaked it in hopes that it would fix the problem but no luck

have you restore from backup after doing a factory restore? go to settings> general> reset> reset network setting/

It gave me an error when I went to back it up and yes i rest the network setting even tho it isn't connected to amnetwork I just want the wifi to work so I can access internet

Sealtea116 said:
So my girlfriend just upgraded her Verizon iPhone 4 to the 4s and gave me the old phone so that I can use it as if it was an iPod touch. The problem that I am having is now that it isn't active on the Verizon network I can't access the wifi. I go and try to acess the wifi and it is grey. Is there a way I can use the wifi feature even tho it isn't connected to the Verizon network
Thanks

I purchased me a 4s iPhone on eBay with a bad ESN. Yes I I'd know the ESN was bad because I purchased to make wifi calls.

Ok bad ESN means scan not be activated to a carrier and my phone is a Sprint network. Not even Sprint will the phone be able to be activated to.

To question/comment at hand. Mine is fine with wifi. Both with my home router using Comcast nd away from home using my Verizon mobile hotspot device.

So being activated to a carrier should not make any difference on the 4s wifi capabilities.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

yea i know that it should work im just trying to figure out why it isnt work and i was hoping that someone would be able to help me understand why it isnt working or would know how i could fix the problem