What's new

iPod not charging!

flerbergerber

Reaction score
I am using an iPod 4th Generation running iOS 6.1.5. My charger cable does not work, and it is not a problem with the cable. I have tried 2 sync cables and a car charger. I'm on a tethered jailbreak and cannot reboot my phone (It's not dead yet, but it's close). Don't just say "lulz restore and giv to aepl". Even if I restored, my 1 year warranty is already over. Is my iPod completely bricked? Any way to fix this?

What I have know: DFU mode and Recovery Mode don't help. Both iTunes and redsn0w don't see the iPod. I cannot reboot because the jailbreak is tethered. I recently installed Winterboard, and then after I rebooted (with redsn0w), my iPod stopped charging. I uninstalled Winterboard, had to reboot, and no more charging.

Now Windows is saying that the device software was not installed correctly. By the way, the same thing happens when I plug it into a wall.

Attempt to boot the device in safe mode. The result will either be Recovery Mode that's recognized hopefully, or your device booting in a a semi-tethered state (possibly). Power the device down completely. Hold the volume up button and turn on the device while still holding the volume up button.

I'll try safe mode soon. But here's something interesting: My iPod can still charge through my pc. It can't charge in the wall, or sync to iTunes, but it just died and now it's charging. I'll let you know if safe mode works.

Well now my iPod won't even turn off. A hard reboot turns it off for like 2 seconds, then it just goes into a reboot loop.

EDIT: I managed to enter DFU mode, and my pc kinda recognizes it. It knows it's there, but it shows up in device manager as "unknown device".

Last edited:
Hm. Might have a fix. I previously had the iPod driver installed on my pc. If I go to unknown device, update, and select files from my pc, I can select drivers from Apple Inc. I have the iPod drivers, recovery drivers, iBoot drivers, and DFU drivers. I'll try updating the unknown device to one of these.

I would also advise that you try re-installing iTunes. iTunes carries with it the ability for your computer to contact Apple to get the driver for your iOS devices as you can't manually install them anymore by means that I know of. Reinstalling iTunes (particularly 11.0.5 or below if possible) can remedy part of the issue if not all of it as well.

And found the problem and I don't believe there is a solution. I installed a cydia app called "stride". This allowed me to "draw" a password. While my device is off, neither redsn0w nor iTunes (nor any other programs that can sync with my iPod?) can bypass the password. Since my JB is tethered, I can't just uninstall the app. However, my brother had a spare iPhone 3GS, so he gave it to me. Unless You have any way to fix this, I'll mark the thread as solved (or... canceled?)