What's new

iPhone4 Shutting Down Facebook

miles

Reaction score
Hi guys! Newbee here. I got a jailbroken iPhone 4. It got a cydia software. For the last few weeks, when I launch facebook icon, it would launch then it would shut down after few seconds. It was working fine for years. I found out that it wants the OS to be upgraded to 4.2 or something in order for facebook to work again. I never upgraded my phone's OS since I purchased it a couple of years ago.

Is there a get around on this issue? Should I upgrade my iPhone firmware? To what version? How would I do it? I have read, that there are some who screwed up their iphones in the process of the OS upgrade so I'm quite hesitant in this route.

If I'll upgrade it, what happen to the applications that I have? Would they still be available after the OS upgrade? Could I jailbreak the phone again?

I apologize for so many questions and these things have been bugging my mind for days. Thank you for those who could answer my inquiries.

The versions that you can upgrade to are based on the SHSH blobs that you have in Cydia's servers. You can find out which ones by opening Cydia, and on the top it'll have a list of iOS. If you for have any iOS 5.X on there, then you can only restore to iOS 6.0.1

Hello. Thank you for the quick reply. I launched Cydia and it shows SHSH: IOS 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2-b3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 5.1 r1, 6.01

Which is the best OS that I should pick? How would I upgrade the software on a specific OS that I'll choose? Do I need to back up my files first? Once it is upgraded, do I need to reinstall Cydia? Should I just search and install the IOS X under Cydia? Thank you.

I would recommend 5.0.1 or 5.1.1. iOS 5.1r1 has only a tethered jailbreak for the 4 as well as 6.0.1.

To perform the upgrade, you'll need to get RedSn0w, and download the proper IPSW for your iPhone 4 for iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 (either CDMA or GSM). If your iPhone is GSM, the header should be iPhone3,1_5. If your iPhone is a CDMA phone, the header should be iPhone3,3_5.1.1.

Open up RedSn0w, and connect your device, make sure it's recognized by RedSn0w on the main page under the Extras button (a line of black text will somewhat identify your iPhone when it's plugged in). Then go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the clean IPSW for your iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1. Then underneath, you'll see SHSH blobs. Select remotely, and RedSn0w will retrieve them off of Cydia's server. As long as you see it on the main screen of Cydia, RedSn0w should be able to retrieve it. Then they'll proceed to ask you about baseband upgrading and whatnot, you'll have to say 'Yes' to them all. It'll stitch an IPSW on it's own and restore your iPhone with that IPSW all in one go.

Then to jailbreak it, just open up RedSn0w again, plug in your iPhone, go to Extras > Select IPSW, and point it to the IPSW that you used earlier to restore your iPhone based on the SHSH blobs you have. Select that IPSW, then go back to the main screen, select Jailbreak and follow the on-screen instructions. When it comes to the point where you have a few items on a list with checkboxes next to them, tick "Install Cydia" and proceed.

@ Willerz2

Thanks a lot! I will give it a shot. Would redsnow back up my iphone original settings, contacts, programs, etc? Would I need to reinstall / repurchase the programs once the new OS is installed?

No. You'll need to do that manually or through iTunes. Apps you'll just need to repurchase since its linked to your account on both Cydia and the AppStore

Do I need to repay for those apps that I already paid before? Thanks.

No. As long as you've logged into your Cydia or iTunes account, you can redownload them without any costs. iTunes purchases are linked to your account. Cydia purchases have licenses, and all you do is reload the licenses back onto your iPhone when you 'repurchase' them.

Best guess i could give you is update your software and download tiny umbrella in case it doesnt work. Tiny umbrella allows you to downgrade your software in case it is corrupted

Best guess i could give you is update your software and download tiny umbrella in case it doesnt work. Tiny umbrella allows you to downgrade your software in case it is corrupted

Very misleading. TinyUmbrella helps you to downgrade ASSUMING you have the blobs saved. And no, the update on Facebook and WhatsApp affects jailbroken devices. There are cases where removing a certain app from Cydia may lead to solving the problem

@ willerz2

I got my iphone 4 upgraded to 5.1 and I was able to jailbreak it too. Thank you very much for your detailed instruction. Cheers!

I have noticed that the signal level stayed on one bar after I upgraded the OS even I was directly infront of the cell site. My blackberry phone got full bars at home while the iPhone 4 with new OS doesn't go higher than one bar. Any fix to this? Should I upgrade the OS into something higher? No issues in making / receiving calls though.

Anyone knows how to run the iphone4 on test mode so I could see the actual receiver level in dBm? Thanks.

I think that might just be the 4. The iPhone 4 does have a known problem with it's reception and antennae and such. To check the dBm, access the iPhone’s Field Test mode by typing *3001#12345#* in the phone’s keypad and press dial. This will bring up the Field Test menu.