What's new

iphone4 OS5 Will not update Apps.. Apps are being lost and so is my money

skysimone

Reaction score
So I ended up getting up to 'app store.. 55 updates available' I selected 'update all' - normally works fine
It stopped with about 17 apps half updated.. and unusable
I tried to continue the downloads, and it said 'update for x app not available' or 'unable to download update for x app at this time'

Each of these apps are now unusable.. and it's getting worse
Just now another 40 updates became available.. and I made the mistake of selecting 'download all' and now I have even more apps completely unusable

I have tried googling the issue but can't find anyone with the problem

HELP!

It would be silly to try and update that many apps via your iPhone....assuming you synced your iPhone to iTunes recently update all apps on your computer first then sync iPhone....use iTunes to do all the hard work..

Try doing the updates one by one. If you find one that won't update correctly, uninstall it and reinstall

It would be silly to try and update that many apps via your iPhone....assuming you synced your iPhone to iTunes recently update all apps on your computer first then sync iPhone....use iTunes to do all the hard work..
A good answer, I suppose. However, what is a normal person supposed to think? If the iPhone's update instructions/procedures allow for updating 55 apps, then why shouldn't a customer just trust that process and expect it to happen?

If there's one thing I've learned about my beloved iPhone, it's that you can't just accomplish tasks normally without knowing the "secret" roundabout ways of doing things. Not good.

A good answer, I suppose. However, what is a normal person supposed to think? If the iPhone's update instructions/procedures allow for updating 55 apps, then why shouldn't a customer just trust that process and expect it to happen?

If there's one thing I've learned about my beloved iPhone, it's that you can't just accomplish tasks normally without knowing the "secret" roundabout ways of doing things. Not good.

Updating 55 apps at once, takes processing power and data transfering, etc..etc...it's no "secret", it's common sense (to me), that many apps to update IS going to take up processing, transfer rates to the point where it slows down the entire phone and at times, the entire phone is unusable cuase it's trying to update 55 apps....

Updating 55 apps at once, takes processing power and data transfering, etc..etc...it's no "secret", it's common sense (to me), that many apps to update IS going to take up processing, transfer rates to the point where it slows down the entire phone and at times, the entire phone is unusable cuase it's trying to update 55 apps....

Of course! Because an iphone should only be expected to work properly if you don't use many apps! iPhone WANT people to have hundreds of apps.. we pay money for hundreds of apps.. and if you type 'operating system 5 apple freezing during app update' you will find that I am not the only person with this problem..

I have had my iphone for 18 months.. and frequently it will update over 100 apps at once because I have over 500 apps on my phone and many of them have weekly updates..

I'm not going to sit down clicking on each individual app selecting 'update' one at a time.. that's ridiculous...
I don't know how to update via the itunes on a computer. I've always done it on the phone.. Furthermore I'm backpacking around the unite states for 3 months and don't have a computer with me.. Just my iphone.. I'm pretty disappointed with the iphone in this regard.. they make it very hard to organise photos etc..
Windows is much more straight forward.. but I have an iphone now.. and need to fix this issue..

Is nobody in this forum who has had this problem?
it IS an OS issue with the 5th operating system.. if you google it you will find a lot of people posting on the internet about the problem.. but nobody giving them answers.. and everyone is saying they have only had the problem since OS5

Last edited:
So you know its an issue yet continue to try it therefore making it worse? Its an issue, stop trying to force it to work. You have no choice but to update them one by one at this point.

I'm not going to sit down clicking on each individual app selecting 'update' one at a time.. that's ridiculous...
I don't know how to update via the itunes on a computer. I've always done it on the phone..

And therein lies your problem...you don't understand the issue. If there is ONE app causing the problem, the only way to figure it out is to do it one by one. Not ridiculous at all!

I stand by my original point: if the iPhone (aka, Apple) says you are due 55 updates, then allows you to proceed without any caveats, then it should work!!! It's really all that simple. We shouldn't have to go outside the norm to make things happen right when using a multi-billion dollar's company's instructions!

I stand by my original point: if the iPhone (aka, Apple) says you are due 55 updates, then allows you to proceed without any caveats, then it should work!!! It's really all that simple. We shouldn't have to go outside the norm to make things happen right when using a multi-billion dollar's company's instructions!

Should it work? Yes. Is there a known bug? Yes. When your car gets recalled for a faulty part do you continue to drive it in hopes it'll fix itself because it shouldnt have had the issue to begin with? I surely hope not.