What's new

iPhone4...Antenna Gate issue solved???

Limoman

Reaction score
As soon as someone gets their hands on the Verizon iPhone, PLEASE grab all sides of the phone (preferably in a lower signal area) and see if the call drops. I would think because they had to modify the antenna (CDMA) they would address the attenuation. This is the main reason I returned my AT&T iPhone4, couldn't stay on a call. For those of you who have never owned an iPhone4, you are in for a treat!!! If it performs better call-wise I am probably back in, obviously going from 3G to EVDO there is going to be a data speed issue, but maybe it won't be that bad...:)

I hope it's fixed too, I held an iPhone 4 for the first time at an AT&T store and I couldn't believe the antenna issue. The phone had full bars when I held it in my right hand, but when I switched hands it quickly dropped down bar by bar until it had no service.

I believe the reason for the mute button being moved is because they moved the antenna to the top left of the phone. Im not sure why apple thought having the antenna on the bottom left where you hand would go was a good idea anyways lol!

Huh, didn't even know the mute button was moved??? I hope Apple resolved this issue, imagine an iPhone4 that can actually place and receive calls!!!

Considering the iPhone is number one phone in Australia we have no issues with the antenna. According to friends of mine in USA it has a lot to do with the AT&T network. There has been no change what so ever with the version of iPhones Australia. We have several major networks.

From Engadet's hands on review:
Apple's Tim Cook told us that the move is all about making the new CDMA chipset play nice with the antenna design. There's no indication that any changes (or improvements) have been made to the underlying antenna structure. And conspiracy theorists take note: in low connectivity settings, we could get both the AT&T phone and the Verizon phone to dip slightly in bars if we covered the bottom half of the devices with our hands. We did not see any noticeable change in call quality or data quality.

Verizon iPhone review -- Engadget

peter

Apple's Tim Cook told us that the move is all about making the new CDMA chipset play nice with the antenna design. There's no indication that any changes (or improvements) have been made to the underlying antenna structure. And conspiracy theorists take note: in low connectivity settings, we could get both the AT&T phone and the Verizon phone to dip slightly in bars if we covered the bottom half of the devices with our hands. We did not see any noticeable change in call quality or data quality.

peter

That blows! Just have to wait and see if there is an improvement from users.

peter

Take what you will from those reviews. That was already in a low connectivity area. When you get to that point, a myriad of things can affect the bars. And if the call or data quality didn't change, what does it matter?

Sometimes people get way too hung up on the whole signal bar issue.

peter

Take what you will from those reviews. That was already in a low connectivity area. When you get to that point, a myriad of things can affect the bars. And if the call or data quality didn't change, what does it matter?

Sometimes people get way too hung up on the whole signal bar issue.

Agreed, but I live in a low signal area (all carriers) looks like I may need to get the network extender which I have now with Sprint for my Evo. :(

Just hold tight until you get it. Note again, the review said the bar went down but the signal quality did not change.

Just hold tight until you get it. Note again, the review said the bar went down but the signal quality did not change.

Will do but the suspense is killing me! My Evo was great when I got it about 3 months ago but now (after about 400 battery pulls) when I get an incoming call and I try and slide down to answer, the phone freezes! Never had this issue with the iPhone 3GS or 4! God, I just can't wait any longer. Sprint already told me that because of the incoming call issue (which they know about) that I would not be charged an ETF!
Waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....

This is why I don't want to be an early adopter.

As much as I don't want to be the Guinea Pig, I have had it with "other" phones! I am in this week.......I hope! I can see it now, "no more iPhones sir!" Aghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Well, I have had the iPhone all day and hold it "normally" in my left hand and have had "NO" attenuation issues at all! Forget the "death grip or hug" I am just simply using the phone as prefer and no dropped calls!!!
I say.........."As advertised"!

A major part of the issue is AT&T network we use exactly the same iPhone in Australia that was sold in USA and do not have any issues with reception on our networks.