What's new

iPhone Tips & Tricks

CalifJewls

Reaction score
Kill a Running App:
Double tap on your home button, press and hold a app, once the (-) symbol is shown, click on the (-) to close each app running in the background. If you use several apps daily, killing apps throughout the day will increase your battery life.
IMG_0030.png
my8Jlcx.png
Swipe to Delete:
Swipe across text messages, email, Facebook messages, etc., once the delete button appears, tap delete. This tip works within many different apps.
IMG_0031.png

Gmail Users, Swipe to Delete:
If you have a Gmail account, you have the choice to swipe to delete or swipe to archive. Go to Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars..tap your Gmail account, turn the slider to off if you would like to swipe to delete your messages.
IMG_0062.png

Multiple Delete:
Tap Mail icon, choose All Inboxes, tap Edit in the top right corner, tap each Email you'd like to delete, tap Delete.
IMG_0059.png
rg3jzLK.png
Delete All Trash:
Choose Email account's trash folder, tap Edit in the top right hand corner, tap Delete All.
IMG_0060.png

Cap Lock:
Double tap the shift key, it will turn blue when cap lock is on.
IMG_0032.png
wtsu347.png
Lock Screen Orientation:
Double tap the home button to reveal running apps, swipe your finger to the right to reveal the portrait lock and iPod controls, tap portrait lock to activate or deactivate.
IMG_0073.png
7KYjfFA.png
Keyboard Tricks:

• Quickly add a period and capitalize next word by tapping the space bar twice.
    IMG_0056.png
  • Touch and hold for instance the letter 'E' to reveal special characters, choose character, lifting your finger returns you to the alphabet. Note: not all letters will have special characters.
    IMG_0049.png
    Aj1yq31.png
  • Quickly enter a number or symbol, touch and hold the ".?123" then select the key you want, lifting your finger returns you to the alphabet.
Screen Capture:
Press and hold the home button, then press the Sleep/Wake button, your screen flashes and a picture of your screen appears in the camera roll. Love this!
IMG_0035.png

Focus Camera:
While shooting video or snapping photos, tap the screen where you'd like the screen to focus, the iPhone will automatically adjust exposure.
camera_20100624.jpg

All About Your Battery:

Apple - Lithium-ion Batteries
Apple - Batteries - iPhone
Fully discharge your battery once a month by allowing your iPhone to completely discharge until it shuts off, plug it in and allow it to complete a full charge to 100% without interruption.

Otherwise it's recommended that you do not let your battery run below 20%.
IMG_0043.png

Top of Page:
Tap the status bar within apps to take you to the top of the page. Very useful within, Safari, Messages, Mail, Contacts, Facebook, Twitter and many more.
scroll_20101206.jpg

Add Web Clips:
Open a webpage, tap the
IMG_0035-1.png
to bring up the menu, tap "Add to Home Screen". When you open a web clip Safari automatically zooms and scrolls to the area of the webpage that was displayed when you saved the web clip. The displayed area is also used to create the icon for the web clip on your Home screen.
IMG_0042.png

Share Contact:
Quickly share a contact, choose a contact, tap "Share Contact", tap Email or MMS.
IMG_0046.png
IMG_0045.png

Rename a Folder:
You can rename a folder by tapping and holding any app within a folder, tap the (X) to delete the previous name and rename your folder. You can move any folder to the dock to allow access to many apps from the dock, instead of just four.
IMG_0064.png

Change Domains:
While using Safari and typing in your website address, you can quickly change domains, tap and hold the .com button to choose other popular domains.
IMG_0065.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Character Count:
If you'd like to keep track of how many characters you're using while Messaging, go to Settings, Messages, turn Character Count on.
IMG_0068.png
5j5qsqI.png
Reset Dictionary:
If you repeatedly spell a word wrong, and don’t take the phone up on the option to change it, it will eventually stop suggesting the easy correction. To correct this, go to Settings, General, tap Reset, choose Reset Keyboard Dictionary, tap Reset Dictionary.
IMG_0069.png
IMG_0071.png

Enable Restrictions:
Parents of children with an iPhone on their account can enable restrictions, such as YouTube, Installing Apps, Allowed Content, etc.. Go to Settings, tap General, tap Restrictions, tap Enable Restrictions, set your Passcode and activate your restrictions.
IMG_0074.png

Note: Tips and tricks listed above also work on your iPad and iPod. (if applicable) I will continue to edit this post as additional tips are discovered.

These tips will not only work for iPhones and iPads but iPods too.

My no. 1 tip would be if your having any weird problems with your phone first thing to do is a reboot. Hold home and sleep for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo. Solves 9/10 problems with all iDevices...
+1 to that, thank you!​

Last edited by a moderator:
CalifJewls... great thread idea. I have much more to learn from this thread than to add to it as I'm new to the iPhone... but I have one suggestion :)

As more tips etc get added by people in this thread... you should update your original post with them. This way the original post is always up to date with all of the tips so people don't have to read/sift through the thread.

If I find any tips/tricks I'll make sure to post them.

As more tips etc get added by people in this thread... you should update your original post with them. This way the original post is always up to date with all of the tips so people don't have to read/sift through the thread.

I was thinking that same thing, thanks for the suggestion!! :)

Thanks! I had no idea there was a built-in screen cap.

Closing the app running in the background increased my battery life by about 150%!

These tips will not only work for iPhones and iPads but iPods too.

My no. 1 tip would be if your having any weird problems with your phone first thing to do is a reboot. Hold home and sleep for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo. Solves 9/10 problems with all iDevices...

That's the only thing that should be in the manual lol

That list of "open" apps is not just ones that are running, but also ones that were recently used. While it may be beneficial to close some of them from time to time, constantly closing all in that list may be a bit of a waste of time. Just keep an eye on which apps have to re-open when you select them from the list. Those are the ones that are not constantly using the battery, but were simply used recently.

Ok I have looked all over for a calendar application. I need help, what I am looking for is to have a reminder on my calendar in 60 days. I need it to sync with outlook....help

Kim

Ok I have looked all over for a calendar application. I need help, what I am looking for is to have a reminder on my calendar in 60 days. I need it to sync with outlook....help

Kim
Use your Calendar App on your iPhone, tap the + to add event, fill in information, set your alert for the appropriate time you'd like..tap done.

Proper Way to Charge Your Battery:
Fully discharge your battery once a month by allowing your iPhone to completely discharge until it shuts off, plug it in and allow it to complete a full charge to 100% without interruption. Otherwise it's recommended that you do not let your battery run below 20% and fully charge your iPhone daily whether your at 30%, 50%, 70%, etc. Read Apple - Batteries - iPhone for additional information.​
I think this needs to be edited, I do not see anywhere that it says the phone should be charged everyday. It doesn't make much sense either. It says run it down completely but then not to let it go down past 20%? Can you please link to this information or this direct quote? Thanks! :)

Great guide, thank you so much!
Really helpful tricks so far :)