What's new

iPhone Storage Math?

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPhone 6 with storage issues. I have tried resetting the phone and restoring from backup to get rid of "other" but now I have almost 3gb of documents and data?

I have tried deleting all safari history and cookies as well as all photos, voicemails etc but have reclaimed little space.

If I go to settings/general/storage I see that I have 11.4gb used and only 450mb available. What I don't get is that if I add up all the listed apps storage space it only adds up to 9.5gb used. Where does the listed 11.4gb come from? Seems like I should have more space.

First of all, the operating system takes up space.

Second, apps such as Facebook and Twitter are storage hogs. They cache EVERYTHING and never release it. Check the size of the app in the App Store against the size on your phone and you'll see what I mean. The only way to reclaim that space is to delete the app and reinstall it. If you run those kind of apps in Safari, you won't get the problem.

You might also want to check for email attachments. They contribute to wasted space. Archiving accounts like Gmail and deleting emails from other accounts that archive locally will free up more space.

Yeah, it's a 16gb phone so the 11.4gb is AFTER the operating system takes its space. I am trying to determine where that 11.4gb is because if I all all of the listed apps up I only get 9.4gb used.

Already deleted facebook and email account. Not much space regained.

Most apps also store data which will account for some of the storage used.

Don't you tried to delete recent delete section in photo gallery?