What's new

iPhone Replaces Hotel Room Keys in New Pilot Program

ardchoille

Reaction score
Starwood Hotels & Resorts is implementing a new pilot program that will see two key hotel locations in Manhattan and Silicon Valley allowing guests to enter their rooms with their smartphones, reports The Wall Street Journal.

After installing the Starwood Preferred Guest (SGP) App, guests will receive a virtual key on their iPhone, which can then be used to unlock a door with a tap using Bluetooth 4.0. The newer Bluetooth specification, first introduced with the iPhone 4s, has been used in a similar way for many home locking products like the Lockitron and the August Smart Lock, but this is the first time it's being used on a larger scale.

Starwood officials are betting that the technology will become the standard for hotels in the future, replacing traditional hotel check-in methods.

"We believe this will become the new standard for how people will want to enter a hotel," says Frits van Paasschen, Starwood's CEO. "It may be a novelty at first, but we think it will become table stakes for managing a hotel."

Bluetooth 4.0 (or Bluetooth LE) is being utilized in a number of innovative ways. In addition to being installed in multiple different home locking products, it has also been used to replace traditional password logins on Macs through the Knock app and to deliver car diagnostics in the Automatic connected car device. Bluetooth 4.0 is also the driving technology behind Apple's iBeacons, which are rapidly being implemented in retail stores and other locations across the world to deliver location-based notifications.

Two Starwood Aloft hotels, in Harlem, New York and Cupertino, California, will be updated with the Bluetooth 4.0 technology during the first quarter of 2014. Starwood has plans to roll out the system at all of its locations by the end of 2015 should the pilot program be successful.

Source: MacRumors

We're getting closer and closer to "Siri, open my hotel room".

Lots of drawbacks there i think, You could lose your phone, have it stolen, It might just stop working and so on.

Yes, there are drawbacks to using software for anything. But, in the cases you've listed, would it not be a simple matter of going to the front desk and asking for a physical key?

I think this is just a matter of convenience, such as using a microwave oven as opposed to a conventional oven.. or an automobile versus walking.

I do, however, hope they've considered PIN/password protecting their app in the case of a stolen phone.

Last edited:
Yes, there are drawbacks to using software for anything. But, in the cases you've listed, would it not be a simple matter of going to the front desk and asking for a physical key?

I think this is just a matter of convenience, such as using a microwave oven as opposed to a conventional oven.. or an automobile versus walking.

I do, however, hope they've considered PIN/password protecting their app in the case of a stolen phone.
Yes you would have to ask for a key, I expect they will have a plan B in case of things like that, Good point about the password.