What's new

iPhone novice

CAMIK2005

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new iPhone user and have had my new iPhone4 for 2 months. I am sort of addicted. However, I was using my phone this morning and set it on the table and when I came back 1 hour later the phone was off and I cannot get it back on. The last thing I did was load an app (although I cannot remember which one). So, I come seeking adivce. I will search for postings that discusses any problems with turning the phone back on.. Heading to a store tomorrow.. CAMIK2005

Hi all, I am a new iPhone user and have had my new iPhone4 for 2 months. I am sort of addicted. However, I was using my phone this morning and set it on the table and when I came back 1 hour later the phone was off and I cannot get it back on. The last thing I did was load an app (although I cannot remember which one). So, I come seeking adivce. I will search for postings that discusses any problems with turning the phone back on.. Heading to a store tomorrow.. CAMIK2005

This may be a stupid question but did you make sure the battery wasn't jus drained?

I don't take any question as stupid.. I had it charged. I just tried a suggestion from another forum. The suggestion was to hold down my ON button and HOME button at the same time until the apple appears.. THAT WORKED to my amazement. Still not sure why it happened, but at least I can use my phone while I'm trying to research why that might happen..

CAMIK.... for my curiosity only, you couldn't turn the phone on initially with the Power button, but you were able to turn it on by holding the Power button AND the Home button, right? If yes, that's something I need to know.

I don't take any question as stupid.. I had it charged. I just tried a suggestion from another forum. The suggestion was to hold down my ON button and HOME button at the same time until the apple appears.. THAT WORKED to my amazement. Still not sure why it happened, but at least I can use my phone while I'm trying to research why that might happen..

Similar to pulling the battery on a Droid or BB>

CAMIK.... for my curiosity only, you couldn't turn the phone on initially with the Power button, but you were able to turn it on by holding the Power button AND the Home button, right? If yes, that's something I need to know.

It's something every iPhone owner need to get used to. It's called a reboot, (just like turning your pc off and on again) and as pigeon said it cures most problems...

It's something every iPhone owner need to get used to. It's called a reboot, (just like turning your pc off and on again) and as pigeon said it cures most problems...

Yeah, I got that, gaz.... But if the Power button can't power up the iPhone (as he reported), how can the Power button AND the Home button fire it up? That was my question.

IOW, I can't understand how the combination of Power and Home buttons can turn a unit on, whereas the Power button alone can't. Clear enuf?

Or did I misread his intended remark?

Holding the power and home button reboots the phone. When it finished rebooting it automatically turns back on. Just like restarting your computer...

Yeah, I got that, gaz.... But if the Power button can't power up the iPhone (as he reported), how can the Power button AND the Home button fire it up? That was my question.

IOW, I can't understand how the combination of Power and Home buttons can turn a unit on, whereas the Power button alone can't. Clear enuf?

Or did I misread his intended remark?

because it's a different function.
i think the power button is susceptible to "freeze" as we'd put it but holding the sleep and home buttons together i think kinda gives the phone a shove...it's more of a forced move than just holding sleep.
i don't know if this makes sense...it kind of doesn't even make sense to me...haha