What's new

Iphone gets hot

justinS

Reaction score
I have a iphone 5 and it gets really hot when i use it for 5 minutes. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Justin--I've removed your other post, since it was a duplicate of this one. It is also against forum rules.

Have you tried a different cable and plug to see if your phone continues to get hot?

Thanks,

Skimonkey ~

When you say hot, do you mean that it's too hot to hold or is it just quite warm? Does the iPhone get hot all over or does one area get warmer than the rest?

It's not too hot to hold, But it almost is. And it's the iphone.

You might want to have your battery checked. Mine got that way before it stopped charging. I brought it in to Apple and they ran a diagnostic on it. They said the battery was ready to go anytime. Fortunately, with my apple care I was able to get a new phone replacement.

I would STOP using that iPhone immediately until the battery can be analyzed. This is NOT normal for li-ion batteries, and it could damage the phone if you continue to use it when it gets hot - best case scenario. Worst case the phone could catch on fire and someone or something could get hurt/damaged. If my phone was doing this, I would turn it off, place it in a metal brownie pan and get it OUT of my house! A shorted li-ion battery almost burn down my house.

FedEx delivered this box containing 2 li-ion batteries. An hour later I smelled cardboard burning. I whipped the door open and threw the box outside and it caught fire seconds later. Photo taken right after I put out the fire with garden hose. Had I not been home, it would not been good.

Attachments

• $image-211999089.jpg
    $image-211999089.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Alright. I'll go to Apple to let it check. Thanks for answering

Alright. I'll go to Apple to let it check. Thanks for answering Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck and let us know what happens Justin!

@APX...what a story you had! My goodness-you are lucky that you were home at the time. I have heard experienced 2 Duracell batteries in pocket get hot, so I can see how this might happen here as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens Justin!

@APX...what a story you had! My goodness-you are lucky that you were home at the time. I have heard experienced 2 Duracell batteries in pocket get hot, so I can see how this might happen here as well.

I got burned by a 9V when I was young, carried in my pocket with some change (bad mix). Seems the battery shorted on the change and heated the coin(s) up giving me a burn.

Cheap made lithium-ion batteries are problems. Either the regulator/control that is part of the packaged battery or the physical battery itself are made with cost cutting in mind.

I got burned by a 9V when I was young, carried in my pocket with some change (bad mix). Seems the battery shorted on the change and heated the coin(s) up giving me a burn.

Cheap made lithium-ion batteries are problems. Either the regulator/control that is part of the packaged battery or the physical battery itself are made with cost cutting in mind.

I think that I could have gotten burned too if I didn't recognize the warmth generated in my pocket. I caught it in the nick of time I believe. Wouldn't have been a good thing, especially at work!

Wow , that photo is crazy! Was that an iPhone ?
Imagine being set on fire while asleep because of your phone.

My iPhone 5s gets pretty warm , I have it in a lifeproof case , and when I use it for a little while it gets kinda hot. When I put it back into my pocket , I can feel the heat coming from it, to the point that my leg starts to sweat. I just thought this was normal , since I've spoken to other people and they all say their smartphones get quite hot as well, not just iPhone's , Samsung's and Nokia's too.

Anyone know what the normal operating temp range supposed to be?
How would you know if there's something wrong ?
I wouldn't want to wait until I get 3rd degree burns from the thing before I start to think there's a malfunction somewhere.

Last edited:
well, I've never gotten that message on my phone, so I guess it's still ok.

I was thinking that the lifeproof case was making it retain more heat than it should , which was a bit of a concern , but when I spoke to other people and they all said theire phone gets hot when using I just dismissed it as normal.

The burning pillow freaked me out , though.