What's new

Phone got wet and hot. Too late for rice?

Trairden

Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered a ton on here but I just need more detail. My phone got caught in the rain. Was on during the rain but then just shut off. This was about 4pm. The phone then got very hot for about an 90
minutes or so. I didn't get it in the rice until about 6 hours later where it was in for about 12 hours. Then took it out for about 4-5 hours yesterday to take it to the Apple store (no help).

So ow its just sitting in a bag of rice. Guy at store said it can take up to two weeks in some cases. Because my phone got very hot, is it futile in that its already fried and gone? Or did I get it in the rice too late? Could the battery be damaged also so that maybe the phone will be fine but I won't know if the battery is dead?

Thanks for any help. Just want to know if I should just go buy a new one now.

The best way would be to take disassemble the back housing, and leave it completely submerged in rice while turned off. After a phone is wet, you should always immediately turn it off, disassemble if possible, and submerge it in rice without a second thought. Depending on liquid exposure, leave the device in the rice for anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks depending on whether the back housing is removed and how much water.

Wait for the drying process to finish before jumping to conclusions. Afterwards, turn on the device and go through a thorough checklist of what goes on with the device.