What's new

IPhone Factory Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron

Reaction score
This week, my local newspaper published a report of how badly Apple workers in Chinese factories are treated. It seems that this issue has been "swept under the rug". Workers get paid very little, work long hours with no breaks and no vacation time, are kept as captives so they cannot visit their families, many terminate their lives. Mr. Jobs knew about this but never addressed it. The average consumer believes that the phones and pads are made in the USA in California. Why has this issue been hidden from the public? Apple workers should get a decent living; no wonder Apple has become the richest corporation in the world. As Gecko said, "Greed is good".

This week, my local newspaper published a report of how badly Apple workers in Chinese factories are treated. It seems that this issue has been "swept under the rug". Workers get paid very little, work long hours with no breaks and no vacation time, are kept as captives so they cannot visit their families, many terminate their lives. Mr. Jobs knew about this but never addressed it. The average consumer believes that the phones and pads are made in the USA in California. Why has this issue been hidden from the public? Apple workers should get a decent living; no wonder Apple has become the richest corporation in the world. As Gecko said, "Greed is good".
IMO, it's incorrect to state that Apple has hidden this from the public. While I agree that it's quite sad and unjust for chinesse workers of any company to be managed the way they do... it's the fault of their government for allowing it to happen. However, yes, Apple takes advantage of this and makes TONS of money off it.

IMO, it's incorrect to state that Apple has hidden this from the public. While I agree that it's quite sad and unjust for chinesse workers of any company to be managed the way they do... it's the fault of their government for allowing it to happen. However, yes, Apple takes advantage of this and makes TONS of money off it.

It's the way the world works its the same for most major company's they get foreign workers to do the slave labour for cheap so they benefit of huge profit margins than hiring from they're base country in this case America

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

This is old news and a little sided. Dell and HP also us Foxconn to assemble products. Apple is not the only one contracting with this company.

Something you should know about the China labor force. They are greatly under paid, that's nothing new, but their surviving family members get a substantial compensation if they die on the job. Being that the vast majority of the country is poverty, suicide by a family member is a way for the rest of the family to get out of poverty. It is a common practice over there, and not suffered by the manufacturer of Apple products alone.

My uncle visits China twice a year for business. He works in a different field but says its the same. When this story first broke in 2009, I asked him and he said most large companies pay between 350,000-500,000RPM for death and 25,000-45,000 a year for post death pension. Personally that sounds like suicide with a purpose.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Also, I think your newspaper might be running out of news to print and their facts are wrong if they printed that the employees work for Apple. Apple contracts out for assembly, same as every other major brand of phone, computer, TV, etc.........

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

I see the possibility of this thread getting out of hand. Not that I'm pointing fingers, because everything is okay so far but, let's keep comments to the point and calm in nature. Thanks everyone!!

It is sad but that is the way the world works. We want nice products but do not want to pay a small fortune for them. However, when one of these factories opens up over in China there are usually people lined up in hopes of getting a job.

What is sad is that the news portrays it as being a Apple factory, when in reality it is not. You rarely see the news attacking HP or Dell over the fact and those two companies use the same facility for assembly.

It is not our fault as consumers that this happens. Yes it is sad that someone takes their own life, but we have no hand in it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

What is sad is that the news portrays it as being a Apple factory, when in reality it is not. You rarely see the news attacking HP or Dell over the fact and those two companies use the same facility for assembly.

It is not our fault as consumers that this happens. Yes it is sad that someone takes their own life, but we have no hand in it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

And in the case of my local news in Denver they report this story then in the next segment they are using an iPad for information and promoting their news and weather app.....the irony....

And in the case of my local news in Denver they report this story then in the next segment they are using an iPad for information and promoting their news and weather app.....the irony....

I have to agree with you. It's one of the things I dislike about news agencies. They report a story as incompletely as they want or twist it to satisfy their political agenda. Plus they can be hypocritical all day long, like you stated.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Most electrical products purchased in Australia are manufactured in china or one of the many south east countries. The point is conditions in those factories are the same if not worse than the factories that assemble Apple products. I agree wages are poor but frankly that is not Apple's fault it is the chinese government. The news targets Apple because they are so big and have a massive media following but as another user stated other it companies like HP, Dell Toshiba Asus, samsung, nintendo sony nokia microsoft and many more use the same Factories to assemble there products. My point is if one is to blame Apple why should not the rest of the manufactures be also blamed.

I must agree with our moderator Thomas lets keep the discussion on track please and not get over heated

It's true. We who complain about the treatment of foreign workers, continue to purchase these products, so we are to blame as well. The news media only reveals the fate of Apple workers at Foxconn but what about the workers for the other manufacturers? Are those workers treated any better? The reason my local newspaper picked-on Apple this week is because of the release of the new iPad, which is disappointing as it still uses the old LCD screen rather than the brighter OLED display. No flash or Java-enabled as well.

It's true. We who complain about the treatment of foreign workers, continue to purchase these products, so we are to blame as well. The news media only reveals the fate of Apple workers at Foxconn but what about the workers for the other manufacturers? Are those workers treated any better? The reason my local newspaper picked-on Apple this week is because of the release of the new iPad, which is disappointing as it still uses the old LCD screen rather than the brighter OLED display. No flash or Java-enabled as well.
the topic is titled IPhone Factory Workers,Apple will never allow Flash,lets not go OT here.

I do not agree with you in regards to the consumers being to blame for the lack of action by the Chinese government.

Many years ago when Russia was a somewhat stable communist country, the same things happened there. Many young and old people would suffer through life because the government had bad leadership. I can say with certainty that the US, nor worldwide consumers where to blame for the suicides there either.

As for the lack of LED, give the technology another two years to mature to the level Apple wants to see in the iPad. Flash is likely not going to happen, I read somewhere that Flash's parent company is wanting to drop mobile support due to the high number of OS's.

Sent from my iPhone 4S.

Adobe dropped flash last year for all mobile devices now back to the subject please

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Status
Not open for further replies.