What's new

IPhone converting any SMS message over 160 characters to be sent as mms

Fachan13

Reaction score
My service provider 3 on the UK has told me that all Apple iPhone's convert any SMS message over 160 characters to be sent as MMS Picture message !!!

Also, I have been told that any message that contains a smiley icon will be charged as an MMS message !!!

Is this true ?

Regards,

Leslie.

I'm not sure about the 3 network but I'm on t-mobile and that doesn't happen with me.If you have free text messages as part of your contract, I suggest you try sending a message over 160 characters long and a message contains a smiley and check of you get charged for them!

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

My service provider 3 on the UK has told me that all Apple iPhone's convert any SMS message over 160 characters to be sent as MMS Picture message !!!

Also, I have been told that any message that contains a smiley icon will be charged as an MMS message !!!

Is this true ?

Regards,

Leslie.
im on 3 and if my text is over 160 characters it just charges me for another text,also i don't think that adding a smiley should make any difference,it should just count as a character.

I was charged for a picture message and was told by 3 that the iPhone was the cause of MMS charge.

I'm with 3 Ireland and same here if u ad smiley like this 😄😡⚽👍❤😃👊😘 in a SMS I get charge as mms ...

bytu8u3a.jpg

Those characters are double byte. So I absolutely see, from a program design stand point, of using MMS over SMS to transmit the data properly.

My son sent an SMS to 10 friends in 1 SMS message, but 3 charged him 2 picture message charges of £1.04 each as 2 of his friends had email addresses linked to their contact and were linked to Facebook, the SMS was sent to the other 8 of his friends as part of our tariff. Again 3 blaims Apple for the charges saying it is not 3 that sent the SMS to Email it is the iPhone and therefore the charges apply.

Anyone else got these problems ?

Regards,

Leslie.

damn who use SMS or MMS now... :|
iMessage is wayyyy cheaper than any of those... i'd rather say FREE... :D

iMessage is only good for use with other iPhone users. Outside of the US Android is king. Hence iMessage has limited use for their situation.

Skull One said:
iMessage is only good for use with other iPhone users. Outside of the US Android is king. Hence iMessage has limited use for their situation.

whatsApp.... ;)

damn who use SMS or MMS now... :|
iMessage is wayyyy cheaper than any of those... i'd rather say FREE... :D

Those of us who have unlimited text and picture messaging. My regional provides the service with my data package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wouldn't say that

You don't have to say it. But it still doesn't change the fact that there are physically more Android phones in use than iOS phones on this planet. And while in the US that gap is closing quickly, outside of the US Android is still leading by more than 20%.

Can't argue with facts.

I honestly wouldn't know the figures but i as an European iPhone user wouldn't consider android a "king" that is where I come for don't get me wrong