iPhones, WiFi Calling, and SMS/MMS Messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone Talk' started by ITGeek, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ITGeek

ITGeek Active Member

A friend using an iPhone w/o cellular service, but with WiFi Calling, found he'd missed a whole bunch of text messages from non-iPhone users. It appeared he could send and receive text messages to/from other iPhone users when on WiFi Calling, but not to/from non-iPhone users (e.g.: Android users).

Being the group "IT Expert" and the most knowledgeable about iOS, I was consulted. I didn't know, so I searched on it. Everything I found said iMessage when on WiFi Calling only worked between iThings, and not between iThings and non-iThings.

Now I've had somebody, in a discussion on a forum, tell me that's not true--that he does it all the time.

So which is it: Should text messaging (SMS/MMS) work between iThings and non-iThings, when the iThings are on WiFi Calling, with no cellular connection, or does it not?

TIA!

2. ro861

ro861 Well-Known Member

I'm using wifi calling from a cuple of years with no problems sending sms/mms to any body, IOS or Android.
    Of course, i'd never use Iphone without cellular connection.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ITGeek

ITGeek Active Member

Ok, thanks. Must be all the information my search turned up was out of date.