What's new

iPhone Battery Questions

hermes

Reaction score
Hi, I just returned from the local Verizon store after examining iPhone & Android.
this will be my first phone that'll I also use to access the 'net. I really liked the iPhone and did not choose to spend much time with the Droid.

The user plans seem reasonable $43.99 voice & $30.00 web/data plus $10.99/month insurance.
Why insurance? the sales guy told me the batteries aren't user replaceable. All of the other Verizon phones I've had over the years need a new battery after 12 months or so. He told me if i buy the insurance they'll give me a new iPhone instead of replacing the battery. I've never bought insurance for any other phones.
How do iPhone users deal with the battery issue?

At this point i don't watch movies, store videos or music on phones what other reason is there to buy th 32GB model?

Thanks

32 gigs is a hell lot of space man. But I have a 32 gig phone just because.

A little comment about your voice + data plan. It sux. I used to live in Miami and know it's not that bad. But ever since I went to live in Russia those plans just plain stink. I'm paying $15 a month tops for voice and unlimited data. At that I don't have monthly fees, I'm paying as I go, as much as I use. At the rate I'm using it's $10 a month for unlimited internet and about $5 for voice... I also have iPad and $15 buys me 1 gig of data, which is plenty... Also I'm using 4G internet on my notebook for $22 a month, unlimited.

Just something to think about there.

As for battery thing. It's just a salesman pitch. Your battery should last you for more than 12 months, and when it's gone it can be replaced. Youtube for iphone battery replacement. Easy. You don't need insurance.

Also. Verizon is CDMA. I think you'd be better off with AT&T phone.

Either way, when you get phone, try to keep your baseband and use unlock tool, like ultrasn0w. Eventually you're phone will get old, and you'd want to sell it. If it's unlocked you could do it easily.

You don't say where you're from, but in my area of Ohio, U.S., I'm paying $59.99 Nationwide calling plan (700 minutes) + $29.99 unlimited data. So from where I sit what they quoted you doesn't seem out of hand. I guess it is what it is. If it's worth it to you, then it's a fair price. It's not like you're going to end up paying a quarter of what everyone else around you is paying. It will vary by region. As for insurance, it kind of depends on your lifestyle and how much chance you think you have of doing damage to the phone. I'm pretty careful, and don't do much that would be too dangerous to my phone, so I don't carry the insurance. As for the battery, it should certainly outlast the warranty, and you can easily replace it yourself with a special screwdriver that can be purchased with the battery.

Last edited:
I agree with all replies: the "insurance" price is bogus. The battery should last you until your next upgrade/commitment.

Thanks for the useful replies. Bye bye insurance. I've never had it in the past and won't buy it in the future. I liive in the midatlantic region DC/Baltimore
only one time I exceeded my 420 minutes/month but I suspect that might change with web access. What does it mean Verizon uses CDMA?

Gray_mouse you have terrific hardware and great wireless plans and great prices but I don't think I'll move to Russia to take advantage of them. :)

Hermes

Last edited:
Web access is part of your data plan, which doesn't use minutes - it counts bytes of data. So if you have an unlimited data plan you don't have to worry about web use. I'm like you...I've never even come close to using the 700 minutes of talk time, especially since Verizon to Verizon calls use no minutes, and no minutes used during certain days and hours.

CDMA vs GSM is the difference between phone technologies used by different carriers - in the case of the iPhone, Verizon or AT&T. Here's an article that may be helpful:

CDMA vs. GSM, which one is the best for you?

Thanks for the useful GSM vs CDMA link it explains everything I need to know.
Thanks for the battery replacement explanation.

Thanks everybody for answering all of my questions.

I have the 32 gig and about 1000 songs and apps and vids so it depends on what you want to have on it

Are you sure it's the battery it could be the charging port is messed up and not getting enough charge?

Edit: found the link
iPhone 3gs Dock Charger Port/Antenna Flex assembly - iPhone 3GS - iPhone Parts

maybe this can help you and save you money!

Omg, you read my mind. I been to that site for a replacement and it worked well. Thanks was trying to find that link so I can give it to my friend!
I usually think the Batteries are important, the most important point is how long does it last?