What's new

iPhone app development - Partnership vs. DIY?!

caesar

Reaction score
I know there are numerous ways to find funding when it comes to app development from loans to grants to crowdfunding to even private investment. Another option is through partnership with an already established individual or company. Can anyone speak on the probability of partnership opportunities with recently formed apps companies (think as recent as snapchat...etc)? Also, the possible pros and cons to looking to partner vs. the worth of trying to go alone (raise funds to get your app built in the other aforementioned ways) in a space where you would be direct competitors with your would-be partners?

If going down the partnership route, can you also touch on how the mechanics of that typically works? As in do you imagine that the app would have to be launched before this "partnership" can happen or would a partner typically take an idea and, dependent on its chances of success, help with the cost of development?

Thanks

I know there are numerous ways to find funding when it comes to app development from loans to grants to crowdfunding to even private investment. Another option is through partnership with an already established individual or company. Can anyone speak on the probability of partnership opportunities with recently formed apps companies (think as recent as snapchat...etc)? Also, the possible pros and cons to looking to partner vs. the worth of trying to go alone (raise funds to get your app built in the other aforementioned ways) in a space where you would be direct competitors with your would-be partners?

If going down the partnership route, can you also touch on how the mechanics of that typically works? As in do you imagine that the app would have to be launched before this "partnership" can happen or would a partner typically take an idea and, dependent on its chances of success, help with the cost of development?

Thanks

As an app developer, I have to wonder, are you planning on hiring someone to write the code, or are you needing money for a Mac to sign the app? Or is the $$$ needed for the development tools? Then again , it may be the $199 required license to put your app on the AppStore. Funny thing there are many cheap ways of developing apps for android, iPhone, windows, and blackberry, yet you still need a Mac to sign it and pay $199 to get a license for AppStore. You can install the app via we page and save the $199, and cost of a Mac, but don't expect many users to go that route.

KF5QEO
John Guillory

The $$$ would be for the development phase in hiring developer(s)to write the code. My question bores from the fact that I imagine the total costs to develop and implement the app's functionality will be expensive and I am attempting to judge the worth (and probability) between looking to partner vs. attempts to raise funds alone.

The idea is similar to an already available app yet it has extra functionality/features that would open it up to more users and give it extra potential, hence where the question stems from.

The $$$ would be for the development phase in hiring developer(s)to write the code. My question bores from the fact that I imagine the total costs to develop and implement the app's functionality will be expensive and I am attempting to judge the worth (and probability) between looking to partner vs. attempts to raise funds alone.

The idea is similar to an already available app yet it has extra functionality/features that would open it up to more users and give it extra potential, hence where the question stems from.

O.k. I'm just trying to follow everything. I understand fully not wanting to give out too much details and all. Looking for a partner will be a bit risky and the partner will be a bit cautious as well. If you go the partnership method, I can almost bet you that you and your partner will want a legal binding document drawn up before any agreement is reached. This will cost you money, and will eat into your profits. The partner will definitely need to weigh the cost of the entire project and weigh how much money will be made as well as how long it will take to turn a profit from the app to begin with. Depending on how badly the app is actually desired, you could find that app / service where everyone pitches in and helps raise money, or put up a donation page and request donations (I'd keep track of how much was donated, the name, and e-mail address of the person donating for any money). A thought, if you really want the app designed, maybe make it 'open source'. If you are determined to make a profit from it, then I think I'd suggest making a business plan, evaluating how valuable the app would be to the average person, and what your legal right to make the app is. I especially am concerned that you are wanting to basically copy an existing app and add a few features, then reap the profits from it. Will said app be targeted at any other platform?

Thanks, the info is very helpful. I would be initially targeting iOS development. The partnership you described sounds like individiduals partnering with individuals and does seem a risky one and one I would like to stay away from. With that said, I imagine development firms dont do partnerships with an individual with an idea so that too seems out the question. Im guessing the app/service you are referring to is "crowdfunding" and it is something I have been thinking about. I've read about the various platforms to do so and while I don't know the success rate of such, it looks a very promising option shall the idea come to fruition and do well. Your suggestion for a business plan is is viable but I figure you have to prove revenue-potential (after development & use) before you can even think about pitching it to anyone with capital. Every idea, even with numbers, may sounds like "the next big thing" on paper until...nobody downloads it. Too much risk for one side. In the grand scheme of things, it looks like I will go the crowdfunding route and see how far that takes me; thanks for your help. To alleviate your concerns the app will not be a replica of another with a new feature. The similarity was in reference to the fact that it would complement another; should a specific app have this "functionality/feature" I'm thinking about, it would be greatly enhanced. No theft here! ha. Thanks again

Im guessing the app/service you are referring to is "crowdfunding" and it is something I have been thinking about.

Crowd tilt on the iPhone is one I saw, probably the same....

Actually, a business plan is more of a way of saying if I can startup a business with this much capital, I can keep it running and turn a profit because I plan to do this to make money and this is why it will work. Yes, a business plan is not necessary but it will impress others you seek financial aid from. From the sound of things crowdtilt seems like the best option. That or doing it yourself and hoping you can get it published before someone else decides to write the same type of app. Open source would still be a thought, but not for a paid app.

KF5QEO
John Guillory