What's new

iPhone and Printing

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to receive an email with an attachment on iphone and print the attachment? My guess is no, but I wanted to ask because today is the last day I will have my ISP, and I am waiting to receive an email with an attachment that I have to print out. I will not be able to do it from my computer as I would normally do. If I can do it from my phone, I will be thrilled! Thank you. :)

Provided that your printer is wireless and has AirPrint and both printer and iPhone are using the same network, then you can print directly from your iPhone.

Thank you, scifan57! I do not think I have such a thing, though. Never heard of it before, but I will check into now. Thank you!!

Yes, carolineM, my printer is a wireless laser printer, but that is all I know about it. :D

Sorry Scifan, we were both typing at the same time! :)

It’s possible. You’d need a printer that supports AirPrint. Here’s the list of printers that can print from the iPhone:
About AirPrint

Printer and iPhone have to be connected to the same network.

Open/download the file in your mail on the iPhone. Once you’ve done that, select the Share button:
AE369166-32EB-4442-8D54-CF2BB5BE62A9.jpeg

Then tap “Print”:
8A9D3B8C-1D68-433A-B4BA-3C325E997D5A.jpeg

The next screen will look like this, somehow:
D93D1C17-14D2-40E3-AA2E-A8C38748E8CD.jpeg

When the printer is available, it will appear here by itself, otherwise tap “Select Printer”, wait for it to turn up and print.

Hope that helps.

I know my computer and printed are somehow connected. I am not going to have ISP after today, though.

Thank you, J.A.! :)

My printer is an HP laser jet printer. I will bell them today to ask if they can help me set this up. Will save me a trip to the public library to print stuff.

I just checked. My printer is a Brother HL-2270DW (my last one must have been an HP). Looks like my printer is not going to work with AirDrop, unfortunately. :(

Is there any other way do print from my 5s?

Thank you, J.A. Brother tech support is closed today, but I will bell them in the morning for help in trying to get it set up. Sure will be nice if it works. Will let you know. Thanks again! :)

If your printer is an e-print model, usually means a wireless printer, it may work even if your printer is not on the list. My HP Photo-jet model has never been on the list and has worked with every iPhone since my IPhone 4. But, you must have it on your wi-fi network for it to work. If the printer is matched to your wi-fi network, the iPhone will find it on its print list. If you aren’t going to have an ISP, you won’t have wi-fi. In that case the iPhone won’t be able to communicate with the printer.

My laser printer is a HP (non-wireless) that I have hooked up to my AirPort Extreme. I can print to it from my iPhone two different ways, one if I am on my wifi and one if not.

On my wifi I just select print the document and select my printer - printing done.

This works whether my AirPort Extreme is connected to the internet through an ISP or not.

The AirPort Express may work the same way, and for the price would be worth it just for the printing capability - if it indeed does work like the Extreme. Certainly less $$ than a new wireless printer.