What's new

iPhone and iPad running iOS 5 gain more cellular bandwidth with iOS 5 features turned

J

joe012594

Apple claims that the iOS 5 features (iCloud, Siri, iMessages, ect.) do not interefere with how much bandwidth the devices recieve from the cellular provider. I even called both Apple and Verizon (my carrier) about this and they both said that those features won't take up any bandwidth but may increase my data usage. I says B.S. I just ran speed tests on the speedtest.net app with full bars in a heavy coverage area and got .82mbp/s down and .67mbp/s up. I ran it 3 times to be sure and it was pretty consistent. I then turned off all of those features and even put a block on them to be sure they were off in settings > general > restrictions and you know what happened? I got 2.68mbp/s down and 1.57mbp/s up. I again did this 3 times and it, again, remained consistent. HUGE improvement. I even restarted the phone with the features still off and still the same improved results. If anyone else wants to try this on their iPhones and iPads (cellular models) and share your results please do because if this is something that isn't just me I would really like to know and maybe even apple would like to know. Thanks

Not likely!
It's more likely Internet variability or caching that you are seeing. Or CPU usage or any number of other factors.
Unless you are doing a backup to iCloud or using Siri there is no usage.

Actually there is usage. You know that push feature for the mail app? Well if you look closely in your settings app in the mail section you'll see your icloud account is setup as a mail account and push is enabled for the icloud service to constantly be on to transfer data the second it needs to be which means that there is a constant open flow of data going back and forth to check if anything on your device through icloud services needs to be transferred to another device (apps, purchased music, app data, photo's for photostream, ect.), even to your Mac/PC if icloud is setup, and to the icloud service itself at icloud.com.

An open tcp session does not mean that data is constantly flowing. Even during transfer emails are generally small enough to be insignificant.

Your first sentence has a point but the second does not because you have to remember we're not talking about small emails. We're talking pictures, video, data from apps, calender app information, reminders app information, downloaded apps, downloaded music, downloaded ringtones, contact info for the phone app, notes created inside the note app, bookmarks from web browsers, the location of your device, and much more. That is a lot of stuff to transfer and you don't think you can use just one, maybe a couple, of these cloud services then imediately use another cloud service by using different functionalities of the device thus proving the point that there is a constant transfer of data? For example, if I take a picture(s) and then I decide I want a photo editting app to make the picture look better and I get that app then that app is auto downloaded on my other devices and the data from that app after using it is transferred, again, to my other devices or stored in icloud is it not possible that there are large moments like that which happen a lot just by using simple everyday ordinary apps and functions that we have all become familiar with since 2007 and that it now creates a background process(es) which take up some of the phone's bandwidth similar to home broadband internet? If one person is on a computer trying to load youtube videos and another person on the same access point is playing a live game through xbox live or on another computer that person trying to load the youtube video isn't going to see much of the video and the person playing the live game is going to experience lag.

I with zPhone on this one honestly. Speed testing is inaccurate anyways, especially on mobile networks. Also I'm not sure if you are clear on how iCloud works. Backups and Photo Stream are only synced when on WiFi, backups are even more restricted to being plugged in while on WiFi. iTunes auto downloads can be setup up for WiFi only, which is what I would suggest to most people with the death on unlimited data plans. "data from apps" this amount of data is insignificant, definitely not enough to slow your connection down noticeably. This should be chalked up to inaccurate testing/not enough data.

Having problems sending pictures via Photostream to and from an iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Both are operating on the latest iOS update. Is there a problem that I'm not aware of with Photostream?

MischiefDarkness said:
Having problems sending pictures via Photostream to and from an iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Both are operating on the latest iOS update. Is there a problem that I'm not aware of with Photostream?

I can not get photos to go onto my computer everything worked great before I have IPhone 4S any suggestions how to fix this?