iPhone 8 and 8 Plus first look

Discussion in 'iPhone 8 Plus' started by iDan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. NSquirrel

NSquirrel Well-Known Member

Not mainframes as such, as it was all part of an engineering degree at a time when microprocessors could handle 4 bits a time or just possibly 8 bits. I think at the time FORTRAN was about the only engineering oriented programming language. Now there seem to be lots of programming languages, although Python seems to me to be the most popular and widespread.

I expect COBAL programmers are very rare and command high salaries maintaining legacy systems.

• Like Like x 2
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember paying almost $100.00 for a 4K RAM chip in the late 70’s.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NSquirrel

NSquirrel Well-Known Member

4K and $100 were a lot then. I rewrote a BASIC word processor in machine code to fit a 4K eprom- and it fitted with ease. The settings file alone now probably takes more than 4K.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HunnieBunnie

HunnieBunnie Well-Known Member

4K and $100 were a lot then. I rewrote a BASIC word processor in machine code to fit a 4K eprom- and it fitted with ease. The settings file alone now probably takes more than 4K.

{{{THUD}}} That was me fainting! I think I would rather be executed than to have to write anything in machine code!! That is pure determination and dedication I could never muster for computers! :D

• Like Like x 1