What's new

iPhone 7 speaker speaker Greyed out

Tony5496

Reaction score
Hi I hope I’m in the right place I’m new to the forum.
Hi I wondered if somebody could help me please or point me in the right direction. My wife’s iPhone 7 started playing up last week. It has the greyed out speaker on it. If I phone her she can’t hear me and I can’t hear her when she speaks into it. If I take out the Sim card it works for a short while and then goes back to how it was. Very frustrating really I’m sure it only happened after update was done. Surely if the speaker was broken it wouldn’t work at all but it does after I take Sim card out and put it back in for a while then goes back to not working . Very very frustrating.

Hi I hope I’m in the right place I’m new to the forum.
Hi I wondered if somebody could help me please or point me in the right direction. My wife’s iPhone 7 started playing up last week. It has the greyed out speaker on it. If I phone her she can’t hear me and I can’t hear her when she speaks into it. If I take out the Sim card it works for a short while and then goes back to how it was. Very frustrating really I’m sure it only happened after update was done. Surely if the speaker was broken it wouldn’t work at all but it does after I take Sim card out and put it back in for a while then goes back to not working . Very very frustrating.
It looks like the microphone is not working as well if you can't hear her when she talks into it. The fact that the mike and speaker work for a while after removing the SIM card means that the problem is not likely those parts themselves. Do you hear any sound when playing music and videos?
It's not likely the latest update caused the problem or we'd be seeing a lot more people complaining about the problems you're experiencing.

It looks like the microphone is not working as well if you can't hear her when she talks into it. The fact that the mike and speaker work for a while after removing the SIM card means that the problem is not likely those parts themselves. Do you hear any sound when playing music and videos?
It's not likely the latest update caused the problem or we'd be seeing a lot more people complaining about the problems you're experiencing.

Hi thank you for your reply yes she can’t hear me and I can’t hear her it rings and allows her to answer. But can’t hear anything either end. Yes you are right it was probably just coincidence we done the update the day before. I just don’t know what to do it’s very frustrating. If I take it to an Apple shop will they be able to repair it it’s 23 months old so it will be well out of warranty. I myself have an I phone 7+ And if I use the speaker to speak to someone they say it sounds like I’m underwater . Mine is the same age as hers we got them together. It’s a nightmare really I’ve got early iPhones that still work yes very slow admittedly.

Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free. If the problem is software related the solution is also usually free. If the problem is hardware related they’ll give you a repair cost.

This is baseband ic issue. If your phone still under warranty, go to apple and ask for replacement. If not, find nearby stores that do micro soldering. If you’re in NY, I’ll be glad to help.