What's new

iphone 4 ear speaker

luucky20

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I'm not sure what happened, but recently when I call someone or they call me, the ear speaker on my phone sounds broken or like it got wet, but it didn't. It sounds really distant & cracking/static. Everything else works perfect. I can hear the person clear if I have it on speaker phone, but I hate walking around like that! Any ways on how to fix this? Any help will be appreciated!

Change another ear phone see if it will result the same or not.

Hey guys -

I'm not sure what happened, but recently when I call someone or they call me, the ear speaker on my phone sounds broken or like it got wet, but it didn't. It sounds really distant & cracking/static. Everything else works perfect. I can hear the person clear if I have it on speaker phone, but I hate walking around like that! Any ways on how to fix this? Any help will be appreciated!

If you have this problem without using the supplied earphones then you may have a problem. First are you jailbroken? Secondly try hard resetting by holding the sleep/wake and home buttons until you see apple logo.

Sent from my iP4 while cranking the flyest GoGo bands! DC/MD

When I plug the earphones in that came with the phone, I do not have this problem. It's perfectly clear. And no, it is not jailbroken.

When I plug the earphones in that came with the phone, I do not have this problem. It's perfectly clear. And no, it is not jailbroken.

Then the earphone is the one having working troubles. Not your phone.

It's not my earphones I'm having the problem with, it's my speaker inside of my phone. The one at the top that you hear out of when talking to someone. When I plug my earphones into the phone to talk to someone that way, it doesn't make the sounds that it does when I don't have them in. If that makes sense..

luucky20 said:
It's not my earphones I'm having the problem with, it's my speaker inside of my phone. The one at the top that you hear out of when talking to someone. When I plug my earphones into the phone to talk to someone that way, it doesn't make the sounds that it does when I don't have them in. If that makes sense..

Okay I get you. Yeah take it back to apple or carrier. That's something for them to fix

Should have elaborated, sorry. Thanks though, I figured I'd have to do that. Wish I could fix it myself!

Should have elaborated, sorry. Thanks though, I figured I'd have to do that. Wish I could fix it myself!

No no you can't fix that by your own, take it back to the store at the genius bar, they will change it into a new one for you. Remember to back up your files in iTunes before go there.

luucky20 said:
Hey guys -

My phone does the same thing, I can only hear the other person when my phone is on speaker... Did u get ur phone fixed?

Not sure if this is your problem but if you're having trouble with the phone up to your ear in that you can barely hear the person talking and it sounds fainter than usual for anyone who is calling you, chances are your headset speaker on your iPhone is dirty. Take a detail brush like you use for a car (use the plastic head version, not metal bristles) and rub the metal speaker mesh on your iphone with it to clean that. Dirt build up in that speaker in your iPhone ear piece will definitely eventually get bad enough that you need to clean it in order to hear people again.