What's new

No audio out of the speakers

Blockstar

Reaction score
So here is what happened...I transitioned over from ear buds on Slacker to the iphone speakers and all of sudden the speakers didn't work. I was only able to hear sound when the ear buds were exercised. I tried everything - restart, reboot, iCloud recovery, reset, and nothing. I then put on a youtube vid and sound has came out of the speakers ever since. Has anyone else experienced this? A tech at the Apple Store said it was probably a glitch but wanted to check with the users.

Thanks

When you plug your headphones into the phone there is a switch that gets depressed to let the phone know to output sound through the headphone port and to not allow any sound to escape from the speakers. Sound to me like this switch got stuck and the phone thought there was a headphone jack plugged in. It might have slowly came unlodged and that's why it worked all the sudden. Resetting would be useless if this is what happened.

Happens to me when I unplug my earbuds. Almost every time.

Good thing I've only used my earbuds twice.

Thanks for the info. I spoke with 5 different ppl ranging from Verizon help, apple phone support, and then finally I visited an apple store but you now told me something that legitimately makes sense.

When you plug your headphones into the phone there is a switch that gets depressed to let the phone know to output sound through the headphone port and to not allow any sound to escape from the speakers. Sound to me like this switch got stuck and the phone thought there was a headphone jack plugged in. It might have slowly came unlodged and that's why it worked all the sudden. Resetting would be useless if this is what happened.
It is remarkable how much dross gets into the headphone socket
I had the same symptoms so with the aid of a magnifying glass and a strong light I looked into the socket
There I found a heap of dirt, dust and even some bits of sand
A toothpic and shaking got most of the "big" stuff out and a slimmed down cotton bud got the rest out

It is remarkable how much dross gets into the headphone socket
I had the same symptoms so with the aid of a magnifying glass and a strong light I looked into the socket
There I found a heap of dirt, dust and even some bits of sand
A toothpic and shaking got most of the "big" stuff out and a slimmed down cotton bud got the rest out

This problem happened frequently with people who had the Blackberry Storm years ago. I wouldn't advise the toothpick. Try taking a cotton swab and remove the cotton from one end. Then go in there and see if that helps.

The cotton "swab" would not remove the grain of sand. It had to be teased out, carefully, with something, so the toothpick proved ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad it worked for you. How do you my suggestion wouldn't work? Your suggestion is using a sharp tipped instrument. I would rather error on the caution side and use something a little more delicate.

I'm just giving an alternate suggestion. Nothing more.

Sorry I should have said it was a wooden toothpick.
Hardly a " sharp tipped instrument".
And if you had read all of my post you would have seen that I did use the cotton swab (cotton bud down here) but rather than removing the grain of sand I suspect that it jambed it in tighter so I had to resort to teasing it out
Anyway, Kevinjs's method is probably the best first line of attack

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I suggest using a paper clip. I've used this before(turning my phone off while doing so) might work better than a toothpick seeing as a toothpick can break off easily.......do they sell anything that I can plug the port with?

I suggest using a paper clip. I've used this before(turning my phone off while doing so) might work better than a toothpick seeing as a toothpick can break off easily.......do they sell anything that I can plug the port with?

An Otterbox will plug all of the ports while you're not using them.