What's new

iPhone 6 Could be Thinner and Lighter with Sharp’s p-Si LCD Screen

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Sharp_iPhone_6.JPG

The iPhone 5 has not even been released yet but already there’s plenty of speculation and rumour about the next iPhone after that, the iPhone 6. According to AppleInsider today, Apple is already thinking ahead to the iPhone 6, as you might expect, and has chosen Sharp to make next-gen low-temperature poly-silicon LCDs, which should then enable the phone to be thinner and lighter. The screens also use less power than the usual LCD screens, so possibly will help to extend battery life. The p-Si LCD technology has enabled companies such as Sharp to manufacture “system on glass” devices, whereby the optical sensors, signal processing circuits and other technical bits and bobs are sited directly onto the glass substrate, thus creating more space inside the phone. AppleInsider says that this type of p-Si display also has the benefit of a higher aperture ratio, making for more vivid images, as well as being more durable because fewer connecting pins need to be used.

The original story comes from a report in Japanese newspaper Nikkan, which says that Sharp has already begun to prepare its Kameyama Plant No. 1 so that it will be ready to start making the displays in spring 2012.

Source: AppleInsider | Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012

interesting to see where the iphone will go and what apple are going to do about the antenna on the outside if they will remove it or keep it the same

Cant wait for the iPhone 6. I don't think the 5 will have that much to offer over the 4. Also my contract will be up for renewal in 2012 :D...

I don't know about most people, but as a man with man-sized hands; i'm not a huge fan of the whole "thinner and lighter" craze. If they are going to switch to a display that leaves more internal room, they should use that space for a bigger battery for even better battery life, not to shave MORE size off of the device.

As it is, I find my iPhone 4 to be much more comfortable to hold when it is inside my Otterbox Defender. I am not sure how small people WANT these devices to become, I like some heft to my $750 devices.

my thoughts exactly Gaz. i dont see the iphone 5 having many changes

If it uses the A5, that right there is a significant change.

HOWEVER..........

The iPhone 6 will probably be out by the time the apps catch up, so I agree that waiting for the 6 is probably the best idea.

my thoughts exactly Gaz. i dont see the iphone 5 having many changes

If it uses the A5, that right there is a significant change.

HOWEVER..........

The iPhone 6 will probably be out by the time the apps catch up, so I agree that waiting for the 6 is probably the best idea.

The A5 would be a big change. I think it will be safe to say that the 5 will have it.

However, some apps that are already out there would benefit from the A5 chip already (infinity blade)...

i think the A5 chip is a given.. along with probably more space like a 64GB version maybe those two things i am 99% sure of

What would you need 64gb on a phone for? That's more than my laptop (yes it's old) Lol...

What would you need 64gb on a phone for? That's more than my laptop (yes it's old) Lol...

mine only has 250GB ...

my 32GB has like 2GB space left... i never thought i would use 32GB up but slowly i have been downloading tones of apps and games and 8GB of mp3 alone and pics and videos i made. before i knew it the space was gone.. and 64GB would be perfect..

i love to dl loads and try new things.. on the computer 500GB would be enough i dont know how you manage with under 64gb

What about deleting those videos you've downloaded before on your phone or transfer them to your computer if you want to preserve them? I'm having a 16gb but i never go lower than 5gb of free space, whatever i download i will either delete them or transfer them to my computer. Same goes for photos and videos. I was having a 32gb nokia phone n97 and there was always more than 20gb or free space on it as i always save those files i wanted in my comp and delete those files i do not want from my phone, this was even one of the reasons why i decided to purchase the 16gb iphone instead of the 32gb one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine only has 250GB ...

my 32GB has like 2GB space left... i never thought i would use 32GB up but slowly i have been downloading tones of apps and games and 8GB of mp3 alone and pics and videos i made. before i knew it the space was gone.. and 64GB would be perfect..

i love to dl loads and try new things.. on the computer 500GB would be enough i dont know how you manage with under 64gb

I've never even used half the space on my 16gb iPhone. I've got about a gig and a half of music, around 2gb of apps and about the same for photos and videos. I occasionally put the odd movie or a few episiodes of tv shows on there if I'm going on a long journey. If there is an app I don't use or a video or song I don't watch/listen to anymore I remove it.

I've always got about 5-6gb left on the laptop. It's iTunes that takes up the most. It think it's about 10gb with all the apps, firmwares and backups etc. of the iPod, 3GS and my 4G. Every few months I back up all my data to a 8gb memory card and do a fresh install of windows. This usually frees up a gig or two and generally speeds things up...

The less space you use the better half the apps i have installed i never use it just a waste of space. windows that uses like 7GB doesent it? i have two windows machines one windows laptop and two macbook pros and hopefully soon the ipad 64GB.. the music i have on my iphone 8GB i never listen to any of it lol i add tv episodes but usually delete them after i watch it to save space. i also have had to uninstall a tone of apps that i never use to save space even a few pay for apps...

I think my hard drive is 40gb. After a fresh install with no updates (so service pack 1) I've got about 32-34gb left. So I'd guess about 5gb for windows after taking formatting into consideration...