What's new

iPhone 5s in 2013 standards

Aidan HALL

Reaction score
Do you think iPhone 5s is really suitable for 2013 standards to compete the other smart phone like Samsung galaxy S4,HTC one,Note 3 etc..........?

In terms of stock software, iOS will trump Android in 9 out of 10 aspects because it's closed-source vs open-source OS. Security aside, hardware/resource management on iOS is much better than Android. The 5S still rocks 1GB of RAM while the HTC One Max and Note 3 has 2 and 3GB respectively. The 5S rocks an A7 dual core Cyclone, while the latter uses a quadcore Qualcomm Snapdragon 600/800 respectively.

Nominally, it looks great. Practically, if the resource management of Android was equal or similar to that of iOS, you wouldn't need a quadcore processor, and you'd only need 2GB of RAM at max. The iPhone 5 and newer devices only need 1GB of RAM because that's all that iOS needs, even when pushed to its limits. The most common example is the unnecessary closing out of processes on iOS compared to Android. Leaving an app running in the background demands less resources on iOS compared to Android.

Android, on the other hand, allows for ease of developer access because of its open-source, either for beneficial or malicious intents. I'm not siding with iOS completely per say, but from experience, iOS, in terms of software aspects, is more attractive than Android, but Android devices does have their perks as well, and being an owner of a 4S, 5, 5S, S3, S4, and HTC One and both iOS and Android tablets, both sets of devices have their pros and cons, but Apple has always had a higher level of satisfaction through extensive use

For me its never been about the hardware. Its more of the app library, for example, i've done two trips to china and i needed train schedules, chinese - english dictionary, subway layout. You know on android the selection is almost nonexistant. And then there is the compatibility issue where all iphone apps will run on an ipad. I just found out my amex credit card app does not work on a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0. About the only thing that android trumps apple is the expandable micro sd card. Also, apple has mostly tried to provide ios updates for all devices with android you have to wait until the mfr decides to do the update