What's new

iPhone 5 wont activate?

tortelliniguy

Reaction score
My iPhone 5 will not activate with AT&T or straight talk sim. Anyone have an idea?

tortelliniguy said:
My iPhone 5 will not activate with AT&T or straight talk sim. Anyone have an idea?

Are you sure the SIM card is not defective? Maybe the connector in the phone is defective? Is the phone unlocked?

So now I have a huge problem. I bought this iPhone from a person on craigslist saying it was AT&T, and it showed AT&T 13.0 on the carrier but after I restored it, it says its a Sprint iPhone 5. I called sprint and they confirmed it is for their network. I am completely confused right now. I know for a fact Sprint iPhone 5's are not cross network compatible with AT&T so why is this. I'm going to take into apple this week sometime hopefully.

tortelliniguy said:
So now I have a huge problem. I bought this iPhone from a person on craigslist saying it was AT&T, and it showed AT&T 13.0 on the carrier but after I restored it, it says its a Sprint iPhone 5. I called sprint and they confirmed it is for their network. I am completely confused right now. I know for a fact Sprint iPhone 5's are not cross network compatible with AT&T so why is this. I'm going to take into apple this week sometime hopefully.

I'm afraid you were scammed by that seller on Craigslist. If you can get it unlocked, it will work on AT&T networks, but only on 3G. Differing LTE bands will prevent its use on AT&T LTE networks.
Apple can't help you as the two types of iPhones are fundamentally different. You can't turn one into the other.

Yeah I know, I'm going to talk to them and see if I can get it swapped for a fee or something. It was purchased a week ago.

Yeah I know, I'm going to talk to them and see if I can get it swapped for a fee or something. It was purchased a week ago.
Was it purchased from Apple a week ago... or from the "guy on Craigslist" a week ago? I know you won't want to hear it... but Apple isn't going to swap a phone that's 2nd hand. Chances are, as well, that this Sprint iP5 is going to be Blacklisted from their provider for non-payment or a breach of contract... would explain why the Craigslist seller spoofed it as an AT&T iP5. Unforutantely... I'd say you've been dooped. Please let us know what you can get out of Apple though. Sometimes they're very reasonable and will work w/ people even when you think they won't. Good luck.. :)

Hypothetically saying the iPhone was blacklisted, what can I do or what will apple do for me? I paid $650 for this iPhone out of my pocket..

Hypothetically saying the iPhone was blacklisted, what can I do or what will apple do for me? I paid $650 for this iPhone out of my pocket..

I don't think they can do anything to you personally, you're just another one of the many people I've seen get stuck with a bad phone off of Craig's List. Maybe it's because I hang out in Forums a lot but Craig's List just seems to be the worst place to buy a phone. I wouldn't think of purchasing one there.

A brand new phone from Verizon cost me 649.00. So you paid the same amount for a phone you could get from Apple for that price? I know you feel bad and I'm not trying to make you feel worst but can you explain why you did that?

If it's from a customer who didn't pay their bill and they shut the service off, the phone belongs to the provider. Apple can't do anything for you here. If the phone belong to someone else and was lost or stolen it may belong to the person who originally owned it or possibly Apple or an insurance company.