What's new

iPhone 5 with up-to-date iOS not using assigned contact ringtone

Puzzled

Reaction score
I purchased a ringtone and assigned it to my son. I did the same with my two daughters. My daughters' assigned ringtone works, or at least it did the last time they called rather than texted. The tone I assigned to my son is showing as his proper purchased ringtone in contacts, but he just called and the phone just used the ringtone I purchased for generic callers. I had to look at the screen before answering to make sure it was a contact and not someone I did not know before answering. The assigned ringtone to my kids was to alleviate that issue. I would know it was one of the kids without having to check the screen, and just accept the call.

It was supposed to use the "Low Rider" tune saying "It's your son..." But it didn't. It was quite disappointing. It was the first time he called since I purchased the ringtone. My husband is on the phone with him now so I can't check to make sure the ringtone is still assigned to him, but a few days ago when I needed his address, I keep forgetting his zip code, I checked the tones assigned to him and it showed the proper ringtone and text tone for him.

I purchased the ringtone from iTunes while using my desktop PC and then synced them to my iPhone 5. They are on the phone, obviously, or I would not have been able to assign them to their proper contacts.

I am quite disappointed. Both ringtones, my son's and daughters' were purchased the same day and assigned to them the same day. It does show up as his ringtone when I look at his conract info. No, it is not assigned to his text message tone, it is assigned to his ringtone, just like my daughters's tone is, except theirs works and his does not.

I checked the web and could not find this issue. Nor could I on this site. The only issue I could find was for purchased ringtones not syncing to the phone. They did sync to my iPhone and show up as options to use as a ringtone to assign to a contact, my phone is just not using the ringtone assigned to my son.

Thanks.

Puzzled

Sometimes you have to toggle off turn the phone off and then toggle the ring tone back on.

I have turned my phone off completely.

I was just able to check my phone as my son and husband have finally stopped talking, I checked his contact listing, it shows the default ringtone. I had it set to the Low Rider parody. This has happened before. I have to keep redoing his contact ringtone. Not my daighters', just his. I am absolutely 100% positive it was set for his ringtone and I have had to redo it a number if times. The last time I looked a few days ago, as I stated above, it did show the correct ringtone for his contact entry. Now it rings, uses the default ringtone and shows the default ringtone is assigned to him, not the one I assigned and that appeared a few days ago. No, I absolutely did not change it when I looked a few days ago. I would have had to go into edit mode and I did not do that.

I do recall deleting his contact info and re-entering it the last time this happened, so that does not help. My phone has been turned completely off a number of times, including yesterday as we went to the movies.

So, the contact has been erased and re-entered and the phone has been turned off and this ringtone still will not stick. I bet is showef the Low Rider parody "It's Your Son" was set as the tone before it rang and when it rang, it went to default, but i have no way of knowing, but a couple days ago, it was correct. Why doesn't it keep the assigned purchased ringtone?

I didn't suggest deleting the contact or ringtone. Just toggle it off or click on a new sound. Go out of the contact and turn your phone off. Then turn the phone back on and toggle the ringtone you want again.

Oh, I know you didn't suggest deleting the contact, just mentioning what I have done. I have toggled, deleted, shut my phone off, etc. We have been to a couple of places where you have to turn your phone off quite recently. I have set it back to the proper ringtone. I have it set properly again now, so hopefully I will get a call soon and will see if it is going to work. I will check to see if it still has that set as a ringtone periodically, in the between call times. I might text him over the weekend and ask him to give me a test call. Different time zones, so we have problems with timing and on-the-job times.

I reworded my Google search and did find someone else who posted in another forum about the purchased ringtone not staying assigned to a contact. It was posted a year ago and did not get any replies to it. That would not have been with the same iOS as we currently have, so I am thinking it is not due to the iOS currently being used.

Thanks for your troubleshooting help. If I get it figured out, will post how I did it.

Good luck. And sometimes the iPhone just needs a reboot but I had this problem once and then it resolved and has been working fine since. I hope you get the same results.