What's new

iPhone 5 set up

azonie

Reaction score
Get iPhone 5 tomorrow and looking for easiest way to get everything from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5.
I backup to iCloud every night. Can I use iCloud to move everything including photos apps contacts email and music to iPhone 5 and if so HOW

iCloud makes it the easiest thing in the world set up a new phone. Just make sure that you have it set up to back up your contacts to the cloud. And then whenever you get your new phone make sure during the set up process you Do not set it up as a new phone because it will not give you the option to restore from a backup if you do. make sure you select that you are restoring it from a backup when it gives you the option Between the two. Then it will show recent backups and just select the one you want. What im going to do is manually back up my phone right Before I set up my new iPhone 5. That way any recent calls and text messages will be on my new phone All your photos and everything that you have saved in your apps like Game saves will all be put onto your new phone. Even your call log your text messages, everything. Make sure you have the ability to stay on a Wi-Fi network after you restore the new phone from a backup because it will have to download all the apps all your photos all your text messages, pretty much everything on your phone. Also none of your music from iTunes will be automatically downloaded you have to go in and manually download the music. Your playlist will be there from the backup. But not yours music

iCloud makes it the easiest thing in the world set up a new phone. Just make sure that you have it set up to back up your contacts to the cloud. And then whenever you get your new phone make sure during the set up process you Do not set it up as a new phone because it will not give you the option to restore from a backup if you do. make sure you select that you are restoring it from a backup when it gives you the option Between the two. Then it will show recent backups and just select the one you want. What im going to do is manually back up my phone right Before I set up my new iPhone 5. That way any recent calls and text messages will be on my new phone All your photos and everything that you have saved in your apps like Game saves will all be put onto your new phone. Even your call log your text messages, everything. Make sure you have the ability to stay on a Wi-Fi network after you restore the new phone from a backup because it will have to download all the apps all your photos all your text messages, pretty much everything on your phone. Also none of your music from iTunes will be automatically downloaded you have to go in and manually download the music. Your playlist will be there from the backup. But not yours music

Thanks for this post, I don't have an iPhone I have an iPad. I wasn't quite sure how the contacts would work but I use Gmail so I didn't figure it would be an issue. Anyway I double checked my cloud settings. I'm good to go.

I personally do not have a single tune downloaded on my iPad because I stream everything off of Amazon's Cloud or off of iTunes itself. Since I'll be using it as an alarm clock I will have to put some music on it I suppose.

I'll be looking for an app that can make ringtones. I imagine there are several, I used Ringdroid on my Bionic. If anyone would like to recommend one for me I would appreciate it.

Silly question on part. But to back from iCloud do I go into iCloud from computer or is there somewhere I need to ho to on iPhone

Your iPhone should automatically back up when you charge your phone as long as your on wifi. To back up manually. Go to settings then to the iCloud option(it's above mail, contacts, calendar selection) you'll see all your iCloud back up options like mail contacts calender ect.... All the way at the bottom there is a selection called storage and back up. Select that and at the bottom there is a back up now selection. Hit that and it will back it up to the cloud. Then when you start setting up your new phone and you select set up from back up it will the the name of your iPhone you backed up with and then the date and time of the back up. Just select the date and time you just manually back it up and voila.

But to answer your question no you don't have to do anything on your computer.

Great. Sounds easy enough.
Last question.
Best Buy will activate the phone. Then will I be able to make and receive calls and then do the iCloud back up later when I get home.

If so how will I get back to this set up area to back up from iCloud

Here's the thing that people do when setting up in stores that tic me off. They select set up as new phone instead of restore from a backup. But if that's what it takes to get your phone working then that's fine. Like I said you have to be on wifi to restore from back which they might not have. But of they do this, when you get home and get on your wifi. Go to settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings.

It will ask you about 2-3 times if you really want to do this and this will erase everything and get you back the set up screen like when you bought it new. Then from there just sign in using your apple ID and then select restore from back up instead of what the sales person selected, which is set up as new phone.

Wow thanks so much.
You have been great help
You really know your stuff

No prob!!!! I've been through this song and dance a couple times. When I went from my 4 to 4S and helping my mom upgrade from her 3GS to the 4S. Anymore questions let me know. Also. When you get it and maybe have more questions or run into any issues my email is [email protected] that is my phone email. But be patient. I work 3rd and will sleep a few hours tomorrow morn so if I don't respond immediately that's probably why.

Only took about 25 - 30 minutes to say backup from iCloud was done. All icons were there it photo and apps were not downloaded yet. Still downloading them ( been over 10 hours). Wonder if plugging in and letting it go to lock screen caused issue?
Also need to leave house soon. If I take phone will download pick up where it left off when I get back to WIFI??