What's new

Iphone 5 Other Data

familia5az

Reaction score
Not sure if this is do to Jailbreak. I'm getting low storage message due to Other Data recently increasing to a whopping 12g. Any ideas on a fix before restoring to 7.1 from 7.0.6. Don't want to lose JB though. Thx

Not sure if this is do to Jailbreak. I'm getting low storage message due to Other Data recently increasing to a whopping 12g. Any ideas on a fix before restoring to 7.1 from 7.0.6. Don't want to lose JB though. Thx
To begin with, make sure all your messages in iMessage and SMS are deleted. They can take an enormous amount of space. If 12 gb remain in "other", there's not much you can do. A reset to factory settings maybe. Then you'd be starting all over. It seems most "other" is from messages not deleted. But even deleting them sometimes leaves them in "other". The best way to avoid that build up in "other" is to keep your messages deleted regularly.

Open up Cydia > Manage > Storage and check the breakdown of your data usage there. Settings will not account for Cydia hence the huge amount of others. Cydia's pie chart will breakdown the usage completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

$image-1661989338.jpg

I deleted all text messages. Still huge amount in other. If I restore then I completely lose jailbreak, correct?

If you restore yes. Do you have any downloading utilities like Safari Downloader Plus, or any sandbox downloading utilities like the apps that downloads music that you can only listen to in that specific app?

You probably won't have to restore depending on what's in the Other section. You can try SemiRestore7 after making an iTunes backup and see if that resolves it. It'll retain your jailbreak but it'll wipe 99% if data depending on where it's stored

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

I've got Mxtube. Also, is Semirestore a reliable fix from your experience with the issue I'm having? I found your thread about semirestore and will follow it for a windows machine. Lastly, it's ok to restore from backup without losing Jailbreak? I was under impression I will lose JB. Thx

Last edited:
I've got Mxtube. Also, is Semirestore a reliable fix from your experience with the issue I'm having? I found your thread about semirestore and will follow it for a windows machine. Lastly, it's ok to restore from backup without losing Jailbreak? I was under impression I will lose JB. Thx

I've tried it on my iPod Touch 4th Generation and my iPhone 4 on 7.0.6 and 7.1. It's worked on all 3 iOS's without a hitch.

Not sure what you mean by the last one. You can restore from backup at any time, regardless of jailbroken or not. You can also make a backup of your device at any time, jailbroken or not. If you use Semirestore, you will not lose your jailbreak. If you restore the device using iTunes, you will lose your jailbreak.

Sorry about last part. I backup via iTunes, complete Semirestore process, and the backup is there in the event things go awry and unfortunately will lose JB? I'm just confused as step 8 from semirestore says u can restore from backup after process and I'm assuming keeping jailbreak.

Last edited:
Not sure what the confusion is. Restoring from backup will bring back your SMS/iMessages, some application data, Settings preferences, etc. It does not restore your jailbreak. A jailbreak is a series of changes applied to the iOS itself. Backing up will not remove the jailbreak, backing up will not restore the jailbreak. Backing up and restoring the backup will restore any iTunes backup-able data such as notes, SMS/iMessages, application data, Settings preferences, Wifi preferences, Bluetooth history, contacts, etc.

I understand the concept of backing up and restoring. I'm trying to figure out if I restore the backup, will I lose jailbreak?

I understand the concept of backing up and restoring. I'm trying to figure out if I restore the backup, will I lose jailbreak?

Reread the previous post. If backing up does not remove a jailbreak, why would restoring a backup be any different. iTunes does not recognize a jailbreak at all.