What's new

Data issues on Verizon with iphone 5

new_user_13

Reaction score
- I had tried out the iphone 5 on verizon recently and experienced unexplained data usage where the device was using 50-60MB overnight when I only had emails (with no images being downloaded) and zero apps on the device.

- It was using this data while I was asleep and not using the device and there were barely 4-5 plain text emails coming through

- I really liked the iphone but returned it due to this data drain issue

- I would like to think that maybe I had a defective device but I wanted to see if other iphone 5 verizon users have experienced unexplainable high data usage. I am thinking of trying out the iphone again

- I know this is UNrelated to the wifi fix they pushed through a few months ago

- I have read a few reviews which talk about this but is there is a reason or fix for this?

Thanks

Hmmm never had an issue with my phone... No apps eh? No backup assist?

Sounds like an app to me. I'm on Verizon unlimited data, so I don't monitor my data usage that closely. I have no idea if I use MBs at night or not. I have everything pushing to my phone, so sorry can't help.

I'm on Verizon 2GB/month and monitor my data closely. I haven't seen any issues regarding unknown data usage on my iPhone 5.

Auto data fetching and pushing will always use up data, especially if you don't set a large enough interval for it to check for new data.

Auto data fetching and pushing will always use up data, especially if you don't set a large enough interval for it to check for new data.

I had reset the iphone and not installed a single app and still saw it using up over 40 MB of data overnight with only a few text emails. I couldn't explain it either and had to return the phone.

Any idea what could cause this if there were no app?

Your mail. It has to authenticate, fetch, push and check that your mail is correct. Turn off fetching and pushing and make it manual for mail, turn off Siri, and turn off Locations.

There are quite a few ways for an iOS 6 device to use data every night if the phone is plugged in.

1) Email if you have it setup to PULL automatically instead of using PUSH. First mistake everyone new to iOS makes unless they have only a Hotmail or Gmail account.

2) iCloud Backup. Second mistake everyone makes because they didn't read all the prompts when they first setup iOS 5 or 6.

3) Usage data being uploaded to Apple for quality control. This one you have to dig for, so everyone gets a pass on it in my book.

Odds are you had all 3 going every night. And it was really easy to fix. Shame you had a knee jerk reaction to it.

If you switched to Android you are going to find out it does the same exact thing if you have it setup with the defaults like you did the iPhone.

1) Email was push 2) No Icloud 3) Diagnostics to apple were set to not transmit The apple store couldn't figure it out either - so was not a knee jerk reaction. I noticed this issue over several nights. I also wouldn't think that authenticating email would use up 40MB in a few hours. I have seen other posts on other websites which have complained about a similar issue. Any ideas if the OS has a data leak on some phones? Thanks for your help with this

There has only been one bug, that I am aware of, that would cause that and it was fixed in 6.1.1 for Verizon phones. So if your phone was on 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 and showed the proper PRL, then you reached a condition that I have not seen or read about.

Will treat this as a theory exercise and let my mind roam over possibilities.

First thought, defective cellular radio or a bad tower near your house. This could also be mimiced with a bad PRL loaded.
Reason: iOS would go into hunt mode looking for a proper data connection. iOS always maintains 1 open port for Notifications on the cellular data band. Even when on WiFi.
Result: High usage of data as iOS keeps transmitting and receiving without realizing everything is actually working properly.

Let you know if I think of anything else.

I wish I had posted this question when I had the phone. Verizon was not very helpful and said it must be high usage on my part - presumably when I was sleeping! However your point about the PRL could explain this. How would you fix something like that? Thanks