What's new

iphone 4S will not charge...

zelalem

Reaction score
My Iphone 4S is 1 month old, it's been working fine until the other night when I tried connecting it to a charger. My concern started when I didn't hear the "beep" you get when it charges. I have tried the hard reset a number of times and even used different cables to see if it was a cable issue and still can't resolve the problem.

Before I found this forum I had searched / googled to see if people had similar issues with their Iphone 4S and it seems some do. I read that, while connected to a charger, do a hard reset and you get a blank screen with a picture of a large battery with a thin red line at the bottom of the battery and the little lightning bolt or sign that it's charging, from there I was supposed to leave it in that state for at least 15 mins. Needless to say that I did, no change, then I left it all night and still no charge.

The battery icon, when the phone is on shows as if phone was not connected to power and does not sync with my macbook when connected to the USB either.

Note: Since the charge is very low, the phone turns itself off once it goes below the 1% level and having left it on the charger it switches itself on after a few minutes and shows a very low% of battery like 7% and goes lower till it reaches lowest point 1% and the cycle begins again.

--------------------------

Now, it is completely dead, no apple logo of the hard restart or occasional home screen, nothing.

It is quite distressing cause if I must return the phone for a newer one on the warranty it would take me longer to use my iphone again as it was purchased in NYC but I am in Nairobi, Kenya.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Zelalem

My Iphone 4S is 1 month old, it's been working fine until the other night when I tried connecting it to a charger. My concern started when I didn't hear the "beep" you get when it charges. I have tried the hard reset a number of times and even used different cables to see if it was a cable issue and still can't resolve the problem.

Before I found this forum I had searched / googled to see if people had similar issues with their Iphone 4S and it seems some do. I read that, while connected to a charger, do a hard reset and you get a blank screen with a picture of a large battery with a thin red line at the bottom of the battery and the little lightning bolt or sign that it's charging, from there I was supposed to leave it in that state for at least 15 mins. Needless to say that I did, no change, then I left it all night and still no charge.

The battery icon, when the phone is on shows as if phone was not connected to power and does not sync with my macbook when connected to the USB either.

Note: Since the charge is very low, the phone turns itself off once it goes below the 1% level and having left it on the charger it switches itself on after a few minutes and shows a very low% of battery like 7% and goes lower till it reaches lowest point 1% and the cycle begins again.

--------------------------

Now, it is completely dead, no apple logo of the hard restart or occasional home screen, nothing.

It is quite distressing cause if I must return the phone for a newer one on the warranty it would take me longer to use my iphone again as it was purchased in NYC but I am in Nairobi, Kenya.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Zelalem

Ηι.

Have you tried to do a restore/setup as new on the phone through itunes?

I am thinking that it is a possibility that there is a problem with the charging dock of the phone (if you have tried different usb cables and none work).

I would suggest to see if you can find an Apple authorized service in your country/area and talk to them to see if they can check it out.

Thanks for that super prompt response iMarilina!

I did a restore on itunes when the phone kept switching on and off, but that was only for the settings if I'm not mistaken.
Am afraid if there was any chance of restoring it differently as a new phone that opportunity is now lost as the phone is in complete dead mode. :(

There is no apple store here as such but there are authorized resellers and service centers but I am worried that they will tamper with my phone and my warranty will be void as the phone was purchased in the US.

It looks more and more like I might have to send it back to the US for a replacement :( I have downgraded to my Nokia E 63 and I just don't know for how long :)

Thanks a million and hope maybe there is someone out there with a solution before I send it back!

I dont really think there is any solution, it seems like a hardware problem (or maybe caused by a plug overcharge or a bad cable ).

I would definitely see if you could find the authorized service centers (I am pretty sure they will not tamper with your phone, and the warranty is supposed to be GLOBAL). They cannot do something to void your warranty.

See if you can talk to THEM first.

iMarilina, I admit I have to that too. I got the problem Friday evening and then the weekend kicked in. Just been impatient/anxious about what their response would be :)

I really appreciate your help!

Hope you got a new one soon. Almost the same time, I bought my iphone 4s.

Thanks. I hope you don't get a similar issue with yours.

Checked with Apple and I know they'll give me a new one but I have to send it back to the states from Kenya :)

My next worry, assuming I send it back and get a new one is what if the same problem comes up in the new one too? It would be a vicious cycle of having to send it back :)

Thanks again and enjoy your phone!

Thanks. I hope you don't get a similar issue with yours.

Checked with Apple and I know they'll give me a new one but I have to send it back to the states from Kenya :)

My next worry, assuming I send it back and get a new one is what if the same problem comes up in the new one too? It would be a vicious cycle of having to send it back :)

Thanks again and enjoy your phone!

Let us know how things work out ok?!

Hi, i have had something simular happening with my 4s and i panicked from it too. The phone did not react to anything. This was after a total battery drain. I left it on the charger for about 2 hours, it was the ipad charger, perhaps more powerfull and then tried switching it on normally. No reaction. I tunes connection, also no respons. Then i tried holding both the power and the home button for about a minute and that solved the problem. The apple came up and all was like before. Battery load was over 50% i noticed.

Adcsigas said:
Hi, i have had something simular happening with my 4s and i panicked from it too. The phone did not react to anything. This was after a total battery drain. I left it on the charger for about 2 hours, it was the ipad charger, perhaps more powerfull and then tried switching it on normally. No reaction. I tunes connection, also no respons. Then i tried holding both the power and the home button for about a minute and that solved the problem. The apple came up and all was like before. Battery load was over 50% i noticed.

You really shouldnt use the ipad charger.

Adcsigas,

Lucky you!

That was one of the first things I tried while trying to isolate where the problem was coming from. It did the hard reset but the problem persisted and actually got worse each time as the battery was still draining but no charge was coming in. Finally, a total drain of the battery as expected and no sign of life other than a very distant and faint ticking noise when phone was held close to the ear in a silent environment while connected to the chord.

A curious problem indeed.

Will post more on it once I visit nearest service center.

Hey,

Finally managed to send it off to the states and they gave me a new one. Five months later.... my new worry was what if there was the iphone 5 by the time I got mine back :)
Am happy with it now!

Thanks for all the help!

Zelalem Mulat