What's new

iPhone 4S Wi-Fi problem

hotdigiti

Reaction score
Hi,

Got my phone on the launch day and up until Friday everything was great, I got in from work and tried to go online and noticed the Wi-Fi wasn't connecting. I opened settings and noticed my home network was there so I clicked and I got 'Unable to connect to (SSID)'. I tried the open networks on the list but the same thing 'Unable to connect to (SSID)'.

I then tried a soft re-set and re-entered the network key, it worked! So i thought, it turned out it was only because i was stood right next to the router. Anything from over a 1 foot radius and it won't connect, I can connect it next to the router and it'll stay connected to the network in my house but goes really slow, up until i get no traffic.

I used a speed test app 12 feet away (the couch) and got a download of 0.62 mbps and with the phone on the router i got 2.12 mbps, it's as though the Wi-Fi strength on the phone has been dramatically reduced.

I then did a restore through i-Tunes once from a back-up and once a fresh as new one, still nothing, seems to have gotten worse. So I phoned my network provider (O2). They passed me onto Apple who then kept me on hold for 50 minutes, i gave up and phoned O2 again. They then said my phone is now down as faulty, and to return it to either an O2 Store or an Apple Store.

The Apple Store is over an hour away, my friend said they should replace it there and then, where as an O2 one will ship it off. Has anyone else had similar problems? Ive also had a few silent calls too where its like being muted, my friend has had silent calls too, but I'm not that bothered about that, its just I really need my Wi-Fi :-(

Sorry for the long winded post!

Kev

Update:

Went to the O2 Store today and they have sent off for a new phone because they have non in stock for a straight swap :)

Also get to keep mine until it arrives so i dont have a crappy replacement for 4-5 days

They didnt even check the phone, just filled in a form and that was that!!!!