What's new

iPhone 4S sim card failure problem

ukflyer

Reaction score
Yes, I know Virgin Mobile do not support the iPhone family, yet, for over a year, I have been using an iPhone 4 very successfully with my Virgin Mobile sim card. I used a micro sim card cutter to trim it to the required size and it has worked fine until now.

Today was the iPhone 4s release date and I had been waiting, excitedly, for the phone to arrive, having ordered it a week ago. Why? The faster processor and the virtual assistant, Siri.

I followed the instructions to transfer everything from the old iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 4S. Took out the old sim and put it in the new phone. For a moment everything worked fine. I made a test call, no problem. After five minutes the message SIM FAILED appeared and then, in the provider space INVALID SIM.

Has anyone else had this issue? There must be others using iPhones on Virgin, here in the UK.

I called Apple. They had no clue what might be wrong. I called Virgin Mobile, who said my sim card may be too old and they will send me a new one.

I tried another Virgin (known to work) sim in the phone and it did the same thing. I wonder if all new iPhone 4S's are going to have this incompatibility or do I just have a duff one?

To recap, the sim still works perfectly in the old iPhone 4 and I have not jailbroken either one.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, constructive information?

Thanks Hoopstroops. I did not know about the Apple forums so have joined and posted there as well. (updated version of post).

I am a U.S. user with Sprint. Yesterday I noticed my iPhone 4S showed "no service" where it normally shows "Sprint". I went to settings and cycled airplane mode on and off, then got a "SIM Failure" message. Called AppleCare and discussed the issue with a tech. He had me restart my phone, which restored Sprint service, but from what I read on the Apple discussions, this is a growing issue with the iPhone 4S, and it's not carrier specific. Sprint (like Verizon here in the U.S.) uses CDMA, unlike AT&T, which uses GSM, although the iPhone 4S is an international capable phone so regardless of carrier technology, even a CDMA iPhone 4S is GSM capable, but I thought that GSM was disabled in the Verizon and Sprint handsets, so what difference would a failure of the SIM card make?

Simply update to new 5.0.1 ( 9A406)....
And not to (9A405)....

Iphone 4 ...call end/call failed ..cant make calls..it kinda freezes..weird..???????any help...restore/network eestore all done ...

my mobile came with 9a406 n still am facing sim problem n gets right after restart. but any other solution?

Last edited:
my mobile came with 9a406 n still am facing sim problem n gets right after restart. but any other solution?

Take it back to apple they will exchange it it shouldn't be doing that I have never had a sim card problem with iPhone 4S

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

i changed my sim , n everything worked fine even battery life seemed good, noticed slight change in sim card alignment, previous sim seemed different design n all those sim with that similar lines didnt work properly. it worked fine for me, others give a try, before exchanging new set.

the one in left works fine n the one in right n similar sim never worked.

Attachments

• $image-2011921324.jpg
    $image-2011921324.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 548