What's new

Iphone 4s restoration

Raul Ruiz

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought an iphone 4s. It has been jailbroken and still has all the data from the previous owner such as music contacts ect. I want to restore to delete all the information from the previous owner and to put all the programs in the original place but am afraid it will unjailbreak it and uninstall siri and other programs from cidya. What does restoring do? Will it unjailbreak it? will it delete siri? Also will restoring take you back to the grey activation screen. I bought the phone to unlock for tmobile and dont have an att sim to activate and i dont want to go trough the trouble of finding a sim card that can activate it. Also will updating to 5.1.1 do the same.

Please help and thank you.

Raul Ruiz said:
Hello,
I just bought an iphone 4s. It has been jailbroken and still has all the data from the previous owner such as music contacts ect. I want to restore to delete all the information from the previous owner and to put all the programs in the original place but am afraid it will unjailbreak it and uninstall siri and other programs from cidya. What does restoring do? Will it unjailbreak it? will it delete siri? Also will restoring take you back to the grey activation screen. I bought the phone to unlock for tmobile and dont have an att sim to activate and i dont want to go trough the trouble of finding a sim card that can activate it. Also will updating to 5.1.1 do the same.

Please help and thank you.

If you restore the phone...everything will be deleted.

If its officially off contract..then the *only way* to use it on T-Mobile is to contact AT&T and ask then to unlock it. And they will. Once they contact you to verify its eligibility for unlock..you will be asked to restore the phone. After the restore the phone will be unlocked..and you can use it on T-Mobile.

Restoring will delete ALL data...but Siri will *not* be deleted. Siri is built into the phone as a default feature. Siri will always be there no matter what.

If you want to keep all tweak from Cydia...there is a tweak in Cydia that allows you to do just that. Restoring all tweaks at one time...instead of installing them all one at a time.

But before you proceed....what iOS is the device on now?

You can check by going to: Settings> General> About> Version.

I am currently running on 5.0, Modem Firmware 1.0.11

I dont know if it is off contract. What is the difference in the process of unlocking if is off contract or on contract?

And also will restoring send me back to the activation screen?

Last edited:
Raul Ruiz said:
I am currently running on 5.0, Modem Firmware 1.0.11

I dont know if it is off contract. What is the difference in the process of unlocking if is off contract or on contract?

And also will restoring send me back to the activation screen?

Yes....restoring will put you back at the activation screen.

You most certainly do not want to restore from a backup.

You really need to ask the person you bought from if it was on contract....and if they used the SAM unlocking method, and backed up the activation ticket.

You need to contact AT&T ASAP.

If the phone is off contract, they will unlock it...and you will have virtually nothing to worry about...and sticking the T-Mobile SIM card in will be a breeze.

Why not see if you can get rid of the hassle of hack unlocking and see if you can get it officially unlocked first and foremost.

Priority #1:
CONTACT AT&T.

Tho...you could alway just use Straight Talk....$45 month, unlimited everything...no unlock needed...cuz Straight Talk run on AT&T's network.

Before i had the iphone 4s I had the iphone 4 running on 5.1.1 baseband 04.12.01 which is unlockable. I called att to unlock it and they told me they couldnt because I did not have proof of purchase and did not have a wireless plan with them so i sold it. I am going to try it again with the 4s if not I will just delete everything on the phone manually and unlock with sam (no restoration). This phone is not yet unlocked just jailbroken.

I just called att and they told me I needed the account info so they can unlock which i dont have. Should I do a software unlock instead.

If I was to restore it Will i be able to activate using someone else att card that does not have an iphone but just an att micro sim

Raul Ruiz said:
If I was to restore it Will i be able to activate using someone else att card that does not have an iphone but just an att micro sim

Yes....I think so....but don't take my word for it.

Get a couple more opinions. I don't know for sure,...but I think that is the case.