What's new

new phone but no apple id or password to activate

leonf

Reaction score
Have bought a second hand iphone 4s ios7 and after restoring the phone I need previous owners id and password to activate but cannot contact them. Have talked to apple and checked if the phone was stolen and is not but there is nothing they can do?
Any ideas?

Have bought a second hand iphone 4s ios7 and after restoring the phone I need previous owners id and password to activate but cannot contact them. Have talked to apple and checked if the phone was stolen and is not but there is nothing they can do? Any ideas?
I'm afraid that there's nothing Apple ir anyone else can do to help you if you can't get the original owner's Apple ID and password.

Activation lock is a security feature of iOS 7, designed to prevent unauthorized activations. Unfortunately, the original owner neglected to turn off the find my iPhone app before selling the phone, which means that you 're stuck with a phone that can't be activated.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that there's nothing Apple ir anyone else can do to help you if you can't get the original owner's Apple ID and password.

Activation lock is a security feature of iOS 7, designed to prevent unauthorized activations. Unfortunately, the original owner neglected to turn off the find my iPhone app before selling the phone, which means that you 're stuck with a phone that can't be activated.

Bugger cheers for that.

I don't understand the problem.
Why did this happen?
Was the phone put into lost mode?

Are all ios7 devices setup by default to require this? How will it be possible to purchase a used phone nowadays then?

It's no issue if the seller restores the phone correctly. The original owner did not correctly restore the phone before letting it go.....whether by losing it, selling it, or having it stolen.

Last edited:
It's no issue if the seller restores the phone correctly. The original owner did not correctly restore the phone before letting it go.....whether by losing it, selling it, or having it stolen.

Is there a sticky or link to show how this restore should be done correctly?