What's new

iPhone 4s mic not working on speaker

Susiiee16

Reaction score
This is the problem: for some reason the microphone on my iPhone 4s is not working.

Example- when being on the phone with someone in calling or out calling when I use speaker phone I'm able to hear them but they cannot hear me.

Does anyone know why? Is this only my phone or hardware issue or iOS issue ?

I'm on 5.0.1

I made an appointment with apple for tomorrow, but if anyone has the same problem let me know or if any solutions as well thanks .

NOTE: Siri works voice memos work!

Hi. Tried a hard reset? (powering off the phone by holding home/power buttons down until it shuts off and turns back on?)

I would suggest that first, then a restore and setup as new via itunes and see if that fixes it.

If it does, then it was a software issue. If not then need to take it to Apple

Let us know how that appt w/ Apple turns out, Susii... The fact that SIRI works and voice memos work means that the mic "should" be OK. A hard reset like iMari... wrote about might help.

iMarilina said:
Hi. Tried a hard reset? (powering off the phone by holding home/power buttons down until it shuts off and turns back on?)

I would suggest that first, then a restore and setup as new via itunes and see if that fixes it.

If it does, then it was a software issue. If not then need to take it to Apple

I did what you suggested which was a hard reset n still the same I will be trying out a restore via iTunes

EWyatt said:
Let us know how that appt w/ Apple turns out, Susii... The fact that SIRI works and voice memos work means that the mic "should" be OK. A hard reset like iMari... wrote about might help.

Yeah siri and voice memos work that's the weird part but I'll let you guys know how it went with the appt

So I want to apple store today and it went pretty well they replace my iPhone

Okay so my mic is not working again and it happens when being on the phone having it on speaker mode they can not hear me or when recording a video , Siri voice memos works fine I notice that in order for the other person to hear me I have to literally talk right on the mic but still a low sound quality as well for recording this is my second iPhone 4s n I've notice this happens after using my headphone a lot I wonder what it's is?! But I'm really not in a mood to replace the phone when I already know the same thing will happen again, does any one know any information regarding this issue/problem.

Okay I did some research and I figure it all out no it's not a hardware or issue or a software issue it's actually kind of simple
There's a new mic and that would be at the tip next to the headphone jack the little hole if there's something covering that hole no sound goes through I have slick wraps so it was being covered I took it off and did a video record test and the audio went through :) try it for your self when recording a video just tape that hole or put ur figure just to test it out and you will see. Hope this was some useful information.

We'll Wua xxxxxxxxxxxxx oooooo. Xxxxx oooo ????? !!!!!! Cool love ya