What's new

iPhone 4S Memory is being eaten by 8gb of 'Other'

cmurphree

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 16gb iPhone 4S. I recently have been frustrated by an 'Other' section that is eating up all of my memory. At first, I deleted all my email accounts from my phone. (I still have the Gmail app and use that as my main email for my phone). I deleted all unwanted apps and photos/videos. I had about 6.5gb of 'other'.

Then, I restored my iPhone 4S on iTunes hoping this would help. Now I have even more 'Other' with close to 8gb of my memory used on it. I barely have enough room to take a 5 second video now and it is extremely frustrating.

Has anyone had this problem before and know any surefire ways to delete this 'other' nonsense?

Thanks!

Hey All,

I have a 16gb iPhone 4S. I recently have been frustrated by an 'Other' section that is eating up all of my memory. At first, I deleted all my email accounts from my phone. (I still have the Gmail app and use that as my main email for my phone). I deleted all unwanted apps and photos/videos. I had about 6.5gb of 'other'.

Then, I restored my iPhone 4S on iTunes hoping this would help. Now I have even more 'Other' with close to 8gb of my memory used on it. I barely have enough room to take a 5 second video now and it is extremely frustrating.

Has anyone had this problem before and know any surefire ways to delete this 'other' nonsense?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.

Did you use it as a USB storage drive and then forget you left large files on it? That will count towards 'Other' and can be reclaimed by deleting the files.

Certain apps will reserve storage, and not release it. Go to Settings/General/Usage and you will see which apps are using storage.

Delete any that seem to have more than their fair share, and reinstall them. That will free up the storage and your "other" area will shrink accordingly.

Never used my phone as a USB device, and I have deleted all non essential apps. I'm to the bone. Still don't know the reason and losing hair quickly.

Here's what I would do.

Back it up. Always a good idea before you start playing.

Take screenshots of all of your home screens, so you remember which apps you have.

Save your data onto your PC.

Restore and set up as a new phone.

Reinstall apps.

Here's what I would do.....Restore and set up as a new phone.
+1... chances are when you restored it via iTunes you restored it from your backup. That'll put you right back into the same boat you were dealing with before. You'll need to restore it and setup as a New Device and manually reinstall your apps, contacts, etc.

Thanks for the help! I think that will work and I'm going to try it. I understand why it would just put me back in the same boat i'm in now. Thanks again

Quick Question though. I have the latest version of iOS on my phone, and when I tried to restore, my itunes had to download the newest version again and it took almost 4 hours for the whole process. Is this normal?

cmurphree said:
Quick Question though. I have the latest version of iOS on my phone, and when I tried to restore, my itunes had to download the newest version again and it took almost 4 hours for the whole process. Is this normal?

It shouldn't take that long... If you're restoring to a new phone it should be about 20 mins taking you have a fast Internet connection. That time doesn't include resyncning the iPhone.